Bad day at the Bay Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad day at the Bay Bridge

I was fishing at the Bay Bridge today 09/01/2014. There was a sail boat attempting to go under the bridge next to me, I was thinking that the mast would be close to hitting the bridge. Then BAMM! He hit the bridge, the boat leaned over and the mast went under one section of the bridge. Now the boat is stuck. The couple on the boat were about 70 years old and were okay. I called the DNR, The boat was stuck for about 20 min, then the mast started clearing the bridge. I couldn't figure out how, the tide was incoming. The boat drifted about 30 feet after clearing the bridge, then SPLASH! The mast broke off flush with the boat. The couple were still okay. The DNR came about 5 min later so I headed in. Here are a few pictures that I took.

9-1-14 015.jpg9-1-14 018.jpg
    Hobie Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    2014 Hobie Pro Angler
    2012 Hobie Outback

Well that sucks... How was the fishing
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Have you guys seen the pic circulating of the boat last weekend that was submerged at the Sandy Point ramp?
      But anyway, like Shady said, how was the fishing? :-)

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Hum, interesting, guess they weren't watching the tides.
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I was fishing the rt 50 bridge in OC on friday & a friend & I were catching fish when out of nowhere a boat races towards us and gets stuck in the sandbar on the northside of the bridge right where we were fishing. The kooks had to get in the water to push themselves out. They were stuck for about 20 minutes and they narrowly missed hitting the bridge during the outgoing tide. I know somebody on the boat was sh**ing their pants!

Comment

With the amount of distress calls on VHF during the weekend, and very few / almost none on the weekdays, it's no surprise that the weekend boaters with too much money are the ones crashing their toys.

Boats have run aground several times over where I am fishing because they see me catching fish and try to come join in. Despite the 2-6ft of water I am in.

Comment

Froggy you are a modern day siren. Luring the fisherman into the mudflats. I know the feeling. Also when they do come by the motor scares everything away in 5-6ft of water. My VHF radio was entertaining this weekend. Heard pon pon pon pon in my sleep
              Cuda 14
              Big tuna

Comment

I was trolling around just north of the bridge when I heard the distress call on my VHF. I could see the boat from where I was. Looked to be around piling number 43 on the southern span. Made for some interesting chatter on the distress channel. They ended up using their boat towing service after the mast broke. Re: fishing - caught a nice fat 22" keeper and a dozen other shorts. Nothing deeper than 12ft.
                John D.
                2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                GO RAVENS!!!
                GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Ha, only luring the dumb ones! Also, I found a wreck out near there, so I'm sure others have fallen to the same fate and had to get towed.

I have been catching shallow too. Blue and stripes both.

Comment

Old steamship? Ones on the navapp
                    Cuda 14
                    Big tuna

Comment

This looks to be a smaller boat (or object), and it was in the 10' or so water between fishing creek and brownies. It is marked with a big stake.

Comment

Ok I know the old pound nets like the ones on the south jetty are out in around 10ft of water and another stake off your beach in about five feet.
                        Cuda 14
                        Big tuna

Comment

Working...
                        X