Another slow day on the Severn 9/2/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another slow day on the Severn 9/2/14

Launched at 7:00 am during the "high activity" according to the solunar tide site. I was casting and trolling a rattletrap and a half ounce Mepps spinner at the same spots that have produced before on the north side of the Severn and in the creeks just up River from the Rt 50 bridge. I managed two dink perch and a 10 inch rockfish in about 2.5 hours of fishing.

I am beginning to wonder if the perch have already left?

I did see a lot of crabs on pilings etc. maybe it's time to try some crabbing.

Steve -

Your experience in mid-river today was similar to mine last Fri -- the fish were not where they had been this time last year. If you are able, try fishing at or near the mouth of the river or other points that jut out into the bay. I fished two such areas this afternoon and caught a few stripers to 18". They were in 2' to 4' depth (the flats leading off the points). As I pedaled from one point to another and crossed over deeper water, I had no interest from the stripers but got several soft plastic bite offs from small bluefish. I caught 4 stripers at one point and moved to a second point. I quickly caught 3 stripers -- then the thunder began. I still had nearly 2 miles of pedaling to get back to the launch, so I left the fish biting.

My funniest catch of the day was a 5" striper than hit a 4" RattleTrap. The poor little fish was an overachiever. That was the only fish caught on the Rattletrap -- the rest came on 3" Fat Sam mullet and 4.5" Saltwater Sally paddletails. Chartreuse was the preferred color.

Regarding perch, try fishing shallow shorelines in the creeks. In the heat of the day, shaded areas work better. I have good success with a Bignose or Woodys spinnerbait. If the water is clear, lots of lures will work. If it is dirty, use something bright colored that either has scent or makes vibrations.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I tried trolling rattletraps today for over an hour, from SPSP to the SPSP lighthouse, not one hit; in 9-12' of water most of the time. I switched to my go to: Norman Middle N and managed one short 15" striper and a couple white perch. I didn't try going shallow, maybe that was my problem today.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Yea fall is starting early they're already moving shallow
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I got three stripers at Hackett Point this afternoon in shallow water. Two were close to shore and one was in open water, but not deep. I lost two others as they got to the boat. None were worthy of photos or even measuring. They were 14 to 15 inch fish. All were fat and healthy.

Each hit soft plastics in chartreuse and white -- two while trolling and one while casting.

No Rat-L-Trap interest at all today. Just curious -- I've hardly wet my X-Raps this year. Is anyone finding them productive?

Regarding location, I believe John is correct. For whatever reason the 2 and 3 year-old stripers appear to be holding in Whitehall Bay and near the mouth of the Severn. I bet as the water cools they will move into the Severn in larger numbers.

I didn't target them at all today but I am confident the perch are still in the shallows holding to structure. I was going to end my session this afternoon seeking perch. But I was more interested in getting off of the water when I saw those dark clouds to the west and streaks of lightening in the sky.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            I got three stripers at Hackett Point this afternoon in shallow water. Two were close to shore and one was in open water, but not deep. I lost two others as they got to the boat. None were worthy of photos or even measuring. They were 14 to 15 inch fish. All were fat and healthy.

Each hit soft plastics in chartreuse and white -- two while trolling and one while casting.

No Rat-L-Trap interest at all today. Just curious -- I've hardly wet my X-Raps this year. Is anyone finding them productive?

Regarding location, I believe John is correct. For whatever reason the 2 and 3 year-old stripers appear to be holding in Whitehall Bay and near the mouth of the Severn. I bet as the water cools they will move into the Severn in larger numbers.

I didn't target them at all today but I am confident the perch are still in the shallows holding to structure. I was going to end my session this afternoon seeking perch. But I was more interested in getting off of the water when I saw those dark clouds to the west and streaks of lightening in the sky.
            I put away the Xraps until spring and winter. Right now I run deeper divers oftentimes.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              Steve -

Your experience in mid-river today was similar to mine last Fri -- the fish were not where they had been this time last year. If you are able, try fishing at or near the mouth of the river or other points that jut out into the bay. I fished two such areas this afternoon and caught a few stripers to 18". They were in 2' to 4' depth (the flats leading off the points). As I pedaled from one point to another and crossed over deeper water, I had no interest from the stripers but got several soft plastic bite offs from small bluefish. I caught 4 stripers at one point and moved to a second point. I quickly caught 3 stripers -- then the thunder began. I still had nearly 2 miles of pedaling to get back to the launch, so I left the fish biting.

My funniest catch of the day was a 5" striper than hit a 4" RattleTrap. The poor little fish was an overachiever. That was the only fish caught on the Rattletrap -- the rest came on 3" Fat Sam mullet and 4.5" Saltwater Sally paddletails. Chartreuse was the preferred color.

Regarding perch, try fishing shallow shorelines in the creeks. In the heat of the day, shaded areas work better. I have good success with a Bignose or Woodys spinnerbait. If the water is clear, lots of lures will work. If it is dirty, use something bright colored that either has scent or makes vibrations.

Thanks John. I was in the creeks and the shady areas mostly, and still not much at all.

I think I may try the Bennett Point Rd launch ( I forget the name if the cross street that the launch is actually on)
              just across from Wye Island next time out. Any words of wisdom for that launch?

Comment

it is the last left before you get to the community and it dead ends into the launch. I forget the name too, and I should know I live 2 miles away. Look up cabin creek only 3 miles from BP. If perch is the target, they are everywhere along the grasses 360 degrees around the launch. Hate to put my home field on blast, but I need all the karma I can get with fall striper right around the corner. Enjoy the nice powerboat free time 24/7.

Comment

I caught 7 stripers and 5 blues Monday morning. Biggest striper was 17". All caught in between the naval academy bridge and the mouth of the Severn. I trolled all morning and my silver rattle trap caught all but one and all seemed to have hit in 10' or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds great guys, thanks for all the intel!

Comment

Working...
                    X