9/5-6 Piney Point and Patuxent River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/5-6 Piney Point and Patuxent River

Went out Friday morning to Piney Point hoping for the top water bite. Left the launch and headed to the Potomac side of St Georges Island and hit a moderate SE wind that had waves piling up against the rip rap. Ended up trolling for a while and got 2 small rocks and 2 blues but I eventually headed back to the creek side to get out of the wind and bouncy conditions, which also got me out of the fish. Fished for another hour or so but had to be off the water by 8:30 for non fish related business, which should be outlawed. Looked at the weather forecast and saw very light winds overnight Friday, but still out of the SE. I figured Smith Creek would be good. The launch are was dead calm at 6 AM, perfect I thought. As I rounded the turn and headed toward the Potomac I soon had moderate rollers that occasionally but water on the front of the yak. Certainly not what I was expecting so I headed into a side creek that was muddy and produced nothing. I only stayed about an hour or so and I said to myself time for plan B. I figured the Patuxent River would be much calmer and headed over to Clark's Landing. Launched and within 50 yards had a nice 15" blue on the line using a Yamamoto crank bait. I took a picture but it turned out my camera was in movie mode, so no posting. I headed out towards Point Patience, which is about 1 1/2 miles from the launch (my pure guess). Picked up another blue trolling over there. As I got close there were birds working and a blitz was on at the point. Only one other boat there as we hooked up with 14-16" blues for about 20 minutes or so. I lost my Yamamoto as I was too excited to tie on a steel leader. Put on a Rattletrap and a steel leader but only got one more as the fish disappeared as fast as they came. Trolled back with a bucktail grub combo that got bitten off a couple of times. No rock today in the Patuxent, but these were the first decent bluefish I've caught. Brought 2 home and they are in the brine right now waiting to be smoked this evening. Yum.

Think I'll hit Clark's again tomorrow morning.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

nice report!! plan your work and work your plan!! good job!! & njoy the fruit of your labor... hope they smoke up well for ya!!

Comment

Good report Mike
      Viking - Profish Reload Z
      Jackson Coosa - YakAttack

Comment

Working...
      X