Flat Report 9/6/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Report 9/6/2014

Fishing report: Susquehanna Flats 9/6/2014.

For the last few weeks I kept seeing photos of 25" rockfish caught on topwater on the flats. The draw was too much and I had to go after them. I fished smack its, frogs and ribbit frogs at weed edges and across the mat with nothing to show for it. There's a lot of water out there and there's only so much early light to get the top water bite. I've never found it so I'm a bit frustrated at that. I was really hopeful to get a nice striper on top.

I was all set to give up and head home but I thought I'd try one more spot, but this time to jig. Fish finder lit up and didn't take long to get a fish. Drifting along I got a really nice hit that pulled hard and tore off some drag. In an effort to get you guys a nice video of this catch I reached for the GoPro, which was just long enough to put slack in the line and the fish was off There was a school of 'em so no use crying over spilled milk. The very next drop another nice fish took the jig and I hit record....ah, just in time to see the 25# fluourocarbon leader snap, whiplashing the reel into my face! That first fish must have nicked the line and in my hurry I didn't check the leader. It's sometimes the little things that matter. There was one more fish on the day, all of 'em in about 30 minute span. The wind started howling and I knew a storm was coming so I got off the water. Fish were not far from Tydings in a pocket of 12' water. A gradual ledge was nearby which was 9'. This school was further north than the ones I found last week. At any rate, I found quite a few schools of fish, some were stripers, others would not bite.

I saw another goldfish in the weeds and was fortunate to see a really nice striper down there too, maybe 25" that I spooked. It was in about 6' in a pocket of weeds.

Video Link:
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

That is a nice class of fish @ 25" +or-... have they been there all summer or have they moved up river from deeper water? this time of year will they stay, will the numbers increase till the water temps drop?

Comment

Guys seem to have been catching them on top water all summer...not me though. I've gotten much smaller ones up there. I usually don't fish the flats for striper in the summer but with those reports I gave it a few shots. They'll be moving onto the flats more and more through november in my experience.

Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

thanks again for your intell. it is appreciated!! i would think as the temps cool the bite will improve as they want to fatten up for the winter. hope to be able to take advantage of that this season...hope we all finish strong!!!

Comment

Never been to the Flats. Just getting settled in as kayak angler. Worked as mate on charter boat out of Chesapeake Beach when I was in high school, so I do some angling background. Would like to get to the flats in the next couple of weeks. Where is a good place for me to launch? Thank you very much. Good luck to you!

Comment

Hey Unklerob, Welcome to the site. Jean Robert Park (Yak friendly)HdG. Tiding Park HdG, Cecil side of river, Perryville Community Park.
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Thank you. Kind of new to site and still figuring it out, but already a huge fan. Thanks again.

Comment

Kinda new myself, good kind of addiction.
                Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                  Kinda new myself, good kind of addiction.
                  It is a good addiction. It's a positive thing to be doing and you'll make lots of friends here. You can't ask for much more.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Unklerob, Not to mention a great work out whether you peddle or paddle. If you are going to fish the flats, you gotta get Yak Fish's book. For me being new it help me understand the area and catch fish.
                    Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
                    X