Non -Kayak Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non -Kayak Report

Did charter out of Rod n Reel (Chesapeake Beach) Friday. Slight chop to water. We were live lining spot at lighthouse about two miles or so directly off the inlet for the Marina. Caught 20 legal Stripers (limit), a bunch of shorts, plus a bunch of Blues. This was the first time I ever did live lining. It was a challenge to keep fish from swallowing spot. How do you do this without gut hooking so many fish. We were keeping them so I didn't feel bad, but this didn't seem like a good C and R practice.

If you set hook fast you would miss, and of you waited, they were gut hooked. Blues were vicious. They chewed up a lot of spots. All rock were around 20-25 inches.
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Short answer is don't live line. But anything you catch live lining would be of legal size anyway (as long as you use big baits).

Comment

Circle hooks.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
        Short answer is don't live line. But anything you catch live lining would be of legal size anyway (as long as you use big baits).
        That's what the theory would suggest, but I've caught some little fish on big baits before.

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
        Circle hooks.
        +1

What type of hooks were you using on the charter?
        Brian

Comment

You were letting them go to long if you we're using treble hooks also where you hook the spot closer to the tail so they when they swallow the bait(head first) it is less likely to get gut hooked

Comment

you could always go with a double hook mullet rig, that way ya got both ends covered. I'am more of a tail man myself.
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

We had some rods rigged with trebles, and some with long shank Aberdeen style hooks. Good comment about tail hooking spots. That would definitely give you and extra second or two.
              Hurricane Skimmer 128
              WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Working...
              X