Bennett Point/Wye River Monday 9/8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bennett Point/Wye River Monday 9/8

The Bennett Point launch is off the Nesbit Rd exit (rt 50) a couple of exits past the Chesapeake Outdoor store in Queen Anne's Co. It's a bit off the beaten path, but WELL worth the trip.

After picking up a couple of peelers (2.75 ea), a Q.A. sticker, and some advice at Chesapeake Outdoor visible from Rt 50, I launched at @ 7:00 am. BTW, for anyone wanting to go, there is a small soft launch area to the left between a couple of crab molting boxes.

The launch gives excellent access to Wye Island, a vast and unspoiled island between the Wye River, Bennett Point, and Prospect Bay. I headed over to the Island inside of a Point around some grass and immediately started catching perch on a Mepps Avilia spinner. After boating about six perch with two keepers ( I don't keep anything under 10"), I decided to take the advice of the Chesapeake Store owner and bottom fished drifting downriver to about the green marker with wind and current pushing me along. I was drifting the peeler w/ 3 ounces of weight on a top/bottom rig. Not much doing, so I headed to the closest rip rap to cast and troll my way back.

The tide slacked and with a stiff wind in my face I headed back up to the launch and took a break for lunch. I wanted to stick around for the 12:30-3:30 "major period" according to the solunar site and finally, it did not disappoint! Right around 1:30 I found a school of angry hungry stripers trolling a white quarter ounce jig and a rattletrap around a point near the launch. They were in the 12-14" range; nothing to keep but a lot of fun to catch.

The wind got too fierce, so I sought shelter from under a nearby pier with a good drop off, and what I had left of the peeler. There I boated lots of dinks (wp) off the bottom, two more keepers, one I lost after he was in the boat, and a nice jumbo perch; 12.5 " which made my day.

I could spend a week there, and never begin to scratch the surface. So much great shoreline to try, and a channel 30-40 " deep in spots!

One of the things I really enjoy doing around those Eastern Shore launches is chatting up the local watermen coming off their crab or clam boats. It's always fun getting their take on fishing, or whatever.

The Island is beautiful too!

image.jpg
    Last edited by Fishinfool; 09-09-2014, 08:32 PM.

Nice report and an interesting sounding place to fish.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thanks Mike. I am definitely going back at least once, schedule permitting, before it gets too cold.

BTW, there is no "hard" launch, so no trailers and power boats to compete for parking spots with, just commercial crabbers/clammers who anchor their boats and row out to them. That means a lot fewer wakes to contend with on the River as well.

Comment

Working...
      X