No announcement yet.

9/11/14 Quick Kayak Crabbing Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday my 300' line from Capt Bruce arrived.
    They were on sale for $65 and free shipping.

Hope to get out and find a good spot Saturday.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Good luck! 300' is the perfect length to start out with. You'll be ready to double it up in no time.
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Right now, I think the toughest part is going to be finding 25 chicken necks.
        Giant usually only has a few packages consisting of about 8 necks each.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
          Right now, I think the toughest part is going to be finding 25 chicken necks.
          Giant usually only has a few packages consisting of about 8 necks each.
          Why not use drum sticks?

Comment

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
            Why not use drum sticks?
            Mainly because it would be a lot of drumsticks. 300' line has 50 snoods. Can't easily break 25 drumsticks in half like I can do with chicken necks.

...but if can't find the chicken necks, I'll probably settle for drumsticks.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
              Mainly because it would be a lot of drumsticks. 300' line has 50 snoods. Can't easily break 25 drumsticks in half like I can do with chicken necks.

...but if can't find the chicken necks, I'll probably settle for drumsticks.
              Chicken neck is more expensive per pound than drum sticks at my local market. So, I usually just go with drum stick

Comment

I transitioned to drum stick this summer and it was much cheaper and relatively easy to set up. If you use a cleaver on a cutting board, it will take little time. Only downside is the extra fat, but that can be trimmed off and used for other purposes.
                J

Comment

I could be wrong but the drumsticks seems like it would be too heavy. Also you dont want the skinny part to get caught in the met when dipping. I dont have experience with chicken drumsticks on a trotline but my first time trotlining I used whole chicken necks and this happened many of times. I would dip and the neck would get caught in the net not allowing me put the crab in the basket. It becomes a pain. The solution was to cut the chicken necks in half. Pieces are maybe 1.5 inches. Seems like a small piece but thays all you need. They are fairly cheap at International supermarkets. That is the best place to get them as you can get a pack of 20-30 for $2. Cut them in half and thats around 50 baits. Thats just my experience. Buzz where do you live?

Comment

International supermarket for the chicken necks like Jay said. It costs about $8 to bait my 600' line...with spare baits to rebait wile crabbing if necessary.
                    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
                    X