Severn Perch Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn Perch Report

Fished the piers in Little Round Bay. The perch were holding in the deepest parts of docks, compared to the mid sections, like in the summer. I was fly fishing and had a pretty high degree of success using a size 6 olive and black wooly bugger. Casting to just underneath the dock and letting sink naturally with some twitching got the best response.

I know that I would have done way better if I had used a bright color, so I ordered a bunch of bright pink wooly buggers for next week.

How'd you Severn fishermen fare?
    “Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead.”
    ―Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea

Thanks for the report of Little Round Bay perchin...can you share what wt flyrod you are fishing? WF or sinking line? Also are you swinging the flyrod from a Kayak? I assume you can stand in your Yak?

thanks
    ST

Comment

Steven,

Congrats on your perch catches.

Last week I caught some nice sized perch in Weems on a black crank bait and then a black Mr. Twister.

It's the first time I had used dark colors to catch them so I am not surprised your olive and black wooly buggers worked. I will give them a try the next time I am fly fishing for perch.

Normally I use white and chartreuse Clousers and Crystal Buggers of various colors when I fly fish for perch.

I've caught them in Weems and the Severn on each of these Crystal Buggers. You should give colors like these a try.

A.jpg

Here's a perch I got in the tournament on Saturday with a Clouser.

A1.jpg

But I will indeed carry some wooly buggers with me on my next time out. Thanks for sharing.
      Last edited by Mark; 09-15-2014, 09:08 PM.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        Normally I use white and chartreuse Clousers and Crystal Buggers of various colors when I fly fish for perch.

I've caught them in Weems and the Severn on each of these Crystal Buggers. You should give colors like these a try.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13416[/ATTACH]
        Those look good, to you put any weight around the hook when you tie them?
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Cowpokey,

The eyes are lead -- the same eyes are used to tie Clouser Minnows.

I do not wrap the hook itself with lead. The lead eyes are enough to get it down.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by scott taylor View Post
            Thanks for the report of Little Round Bay perchin...can you share what wt flyrod you are fishing? WF or sinking line? Also are you swinging the flyrod from a Kayak? I assume you can stand in your Yak?

thanks
            ST
            Hey Scott, I was on a 6 wt 9 ft Cortland with Scientific Anglers WF floating line. I was using about 6’ of mono leader and 3x tippet. I use that setup for pretty much everything…Patapsco moving water, still water bass ponds, and the bay. I’d prob beef up my tippet size if stripers became a possibility.

Also, Scott, I have a confession. I was in a canoe, not a kayak. Casting while sitting is actually surprisingly efficient. I find that it is much easier to get the fly under piers from that low angle. I believe the principles would hold in a kayak, as well.

Cowpokey,

I do not wrap the hook itself with lead. The lead eyes are enough to get it down.
            I concur, Mark, I think that you really only need to get the fly about 2-3 feet down before the perch come up and slam it. I generally use bead or cone head wooly buggers. To get a good decent and still keep that nice action on the sink .

Comment

Thanks for the report..

Comment

Steven,

You make a good point about casting flies from a seated position.

It's not hard if you let the rod load properly and keep the tip high so that the fly does not slap the water on the back cast.
                Also, in a kayak or canoe you do not need to make lengthy casts because you can get close to your target.

I rarely throw more than 50 feet of line.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

For those of you interested in fly fishing from a kayak, take a look at the new section on flyfishing recently added to "Kayak Fishing 101" on the CBKA website. http://chesapeakebaykayakanglers.com...y-fishing.html. Mark wrote this highly informative section.

Several Snaggedline.com members have prepared material to support this education effort. Kayak Fishing 101 is an ongoing project -- new material will be added from time to time.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for the lead, John!

Comment

Cowpokey,

Should have figured that, I couldn't tell if they were barbell eyes...because I didn't look close enough.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                      X