New to the sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the sport

I know most of y'all are more so into kayaks but I recently obtained a 16' canoe that I'm looking to use for fishing. I've had some decent times out so far in Bear Creek with the little white perch but I'm really looking for something that puts up a little more of a fight. Anyone have any insight on hooking up into some rock or blues or hell, even some decent cats in the Dundalk/Sparrows Point area? Again, I'm new to the sport so any pointers are greatly appreciated. I don't know much besides bottom fishing from the local piers/beaches.

Thanks in advance and good luck to y'all with whatever you're trying to hook into.

Haven't fish those areas, but there are fish there from what I've read about. Canoe on the bay wouldn't be my first choice, but it will work.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

I have a lot of experience canoeing on both flat and whitewater so the bay isn't that far off a stretch for me. Not to mention I didn't pay anything for this one. I'm putting in at north point state park as soon as I get out of class this morning. We'll see how things go.

Comment

Look forward to your report.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Welcome to the site. I grew up in Dundalk and there can be a few surprisingly decent areas to fish.

Bear creek gets a surge of stripers but I can't recall what time of year.

Being in Dundalk should also give you decent access to the Key Bridge area and the bay around Sparrows Point to try for stripers. We used to catch WP on every cast from the Ft Howard jetty when I was a kid. Finding a launch near there might be good.

There are some 5lb+ LMB and cats in the Stansbury Park quarry. They have been stocking it with trout for a while now too. If I had still lived there when I bought my yak I would have definitely tried to launch it there. The best fishing for me was always along the reeds on the south-eastern side (you can park by the townhouses near the playground for quick access and no risk of a gate closing at dusk). I always just waded out, wish I had yak access back then.
          Mike

Comment

SS Bad Idea, regardless of your luck fishing you have already won the award for best handle on the site!
            Last edited by Fishinfool; 09-19-2014, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks! We named my boat the S.S. Bad Idea on her maiden voyage. Speaking of bad ideas, going to north point today was a terrible one. Aside from it being windy as all get out, I couldn't even catch a cold. Tried dragging around some bucktails to no avail, gave up on that and went back to good ol bottom fishing with night crawlers... nothing. Got back and the guys on the jetti said they were throwing cats back because they couldn't fit em all in the cooler... shoulda just left the boat at home...

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
                SS Bad Idea, regardless of your luck fishing you have already won the award for best handle on the site!
                +1!
                LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
                X