Inner Patapsco, 9-18-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inner Patapsco, 9-18-14

I fished the inner Patapsco, Thursday, 9-18-14, 11:00am-2:00pm, launching at the Harbor Hospital. No stripers or blues caught but I did catch a bunch of nice wperch up to 10.5”, most were around 9.5”. Kept a dozen. These nice wperch were densest about ¾ mile out from the HH around and just to the north of red-10 & red-8 markers in the 11’ to 12’ depths… very easy to find if your FF is working properly. They showed up like gang-busters on my FF. I was making short casts using a silver Kast Masters and jigging it back while slowly hopping it up and down off the bottom. I had to work it kinda slow. Also, there were vast schools of small baitfish in the 2” range feeding on the surface… lot of guys refer to them as rain minnows. Other areas nearby had schools of slightly bigger 4”+ menhaden flipping/snapping on the surface. So there is still plenty of bait in the areas just waiting for stripers to find them. When I say widespread I mean I could do a 200 yard drift and never run out of wperch. Now I did pretty well with a Kast Master. I have no doubt that bait like garden worms would have been snapped up the second it hit the bottom. White perch for dinner.

Water vis near the ramp was a dismal 10” and inky black, like weak coffee…I was really bummed out. But fortunately clarity improved to 2’+ out where the wperch were. I don’t think I have ever seen the water so inky black at the ramp.
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Sounds like a good time out there. I used to work around the Baltimore area and would drive near where you are talking about. I would have to go to the Coast guard base down that way at least once a week. I don't think you could pay me to eat anything caught in that area. The water is just nasty.

Comment

Working...
    X