Cuckhold Creek Spec and Drum - 9/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuckhold Creek Spec and Drum - 9/22

Was out of town last week and anxious to hit the water. Saw low tide was right at daybreak so stayed in bed a little later than normal. On the water at Clarks Landing around 8:15 and could see lots of fish breaking about 200 yards away in the Patuxent. By the time I got to them everything had died down and the wind began to howl straight down the river. So much for hitting Point Patience. Retreated into the creek which wasn't much better, but at least there were a couple of coves I could fish in. Stopped at a rip rap wall with some deeper water and picked up my first red drum of the year on a white grub. Perhaps 14 inches or so. Nothing else after that so I moved into a different cove and picked up a few small white perch on a small crank bait. Wind was really screaming at this point and almost blew my hat off a couple of times. I started to troll back to the launch and stopped at the same rip rap wall and caught 3 speckled trout on three casts using the grub. These were the first specs of the year for me so quite excited. Had a couple of teaser bites after that but nothing else. Off the water at 11:15.

Also looked like the ospreys had left the area as crows were picking around there nest. I always look for them in the spring as a harbinger of fishing picking up, and when they leave there is only so much time left to get out there and catch. Been a good year so far.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Yeah, I stayed home today because the wind was predicted to be strong. Tomorrow is supposed to be better, then windy again Wed-Thursday.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
      Yeah, I stayed home today because the wind was predicted to be strong. Tomorrow is supposed to be better, then windy again Wed-Thursday.
      Hey bud nice job on the Specks. Well were there little ones, there's sure to be big ones to nearby.

Comment

Working...
      X