Who's from St. Marys county?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's from St. Marys county?

Fairly new to the area, ( transplant from VBeach) but not new to yak fishing and I wanted to see who was from St Marys county on the board??

Thanks
    InshoreMac

Welcome, I have also recently moved up from Virginia Beach (July). I live In Waldorf just on the edge of the north end of the county, my wife works in ST. Marys county.
    Travis
    Dune Hobie Pro Angler 12
    Orange Old Town NEXT
    USN

Comment

Welcome, I grew up in St. Marys (currently live in PG) and still work down in California MD.
      -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Comment

Welcome to the county. I live in St. Mary's City.

Comment

Thanks all for the welcome! We moved here in 2012 after I retired from the navy, and I really got Into deer hunting for a while, and as much as I enjoyed that, I really missed fishing from a kayak. So I got my yak this past weekend and am hoping to get it slimy soon.

One question, Does anyone around here fish specifically for speckled trout? I keep searching but don't really see many post about them. not that I dislike striper or bluefish at all, but specks are my faverite. Lots of speck looking areas around here!

Hope to see you on the water!

InshoreMac
          WS Tarpon 140 ( Mango )

Comment

Welcome to the area, I live in the Charlotte Hall area and primarily fish the tidal and upper Potomac river.
            John

Cuda 12
            F&S Eagle Talon 12

Comment

Welcome to the site and the area, not sure if anyone specifically fishes for specs, but I do know those fishing for stripers will pick up a spec every now and then.
              Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
              Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I do target specks on occasion but have found them elusive until this week. There are reports of them in St. George's creek, Smith creek, and Cuckhold. I've also heard they get them in Hog and Goose creek if you have base access. I have not heard of large numbers being caught or any one spot being better than the other. I'm trying Cuckhold on Saturday for both specks and blue/rocks.
                Mike
                Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                  I do target specks on occasion but have found them elusive until this week. There are reports of them in St. George's creek, Smith creek, and Cuckhold. I've also heard they get them in Hog and Goose creek if you have base access. I have not heard of large numbers being caught or any one spot being better than the other. I'm trying Cuckhold on Saturday for both specks and blue/rocks.
                  Jim and I tried St Inigoes on Sunday. Didn’t see any specs. A bunch of short rocks, some small founder and a sea bass. Didn’t have nearly the top water activity that was there a couple weeks ago.
                  Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                  Predator 13

Comment

Hey Big Mike,

PM Sent

Comment

I'm in Waldorf, and new to kayak fishing, still working on getting my yak and gear. I definitely need some buddies to go out with, especially for learning self rescue techniques since this is all new to me. A big bonus I found most fishermen also hunt, and I need to make friends in that activity as well.

Comment

Name is wayne from st marys been fishing for 35+ yrs mostly farm ponds,and backbays saltwater,been kayaking for 2 yrs love it.looking for ppl that want to kayak up mcintosh,chaptico,st marys river streams,and also looking for a.real kayak PFD i use one for boating and it eats my back up in about 3 hrs.

Comment

Welcome aboard mac.
                          I too am in the Waldorf area, but I frequent "the county" to fish.
                          PLO and Piney Pt are my favorite places to launch down there.
                          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                            Welcome aboard mac.
                            I too am in the Waldorf area, but I frequent "the county" to fish.
                            PLO and Piney Pt are my favorite places to launch down there.
                            Awesome, you guys hit me up if you need a partner when you go. I didn't get to fish a ton this fall but got a chance to meet Big Mike and fish piney point and cuckold creek for some schoolie stripers, did some saltwater fishing also off the base. I plan to do more fresh water fishing this next spring too, St. Marys lake for crappie and bass, but am really considering getting a Virginia license and hitting up Orange lake for walleye, saugeye and crappie.

Comment

Welcome to the area - I'm done kayaking until the spring and I'll be starting in freshwater, St Mary's lake and I'm going to give the Potomac a try looking for Blue Cats, before I switch over to the salt. Lots of great water down this way to fish and good access to some prime areas. Hope to fish with you if you make it down this way.
                              Mike
                              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
                              X