friends, wind, and So. Md fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• friends, wind, and So. Md fun

I was happy to get an invite to fish Sat. morning with Sun. He and I have both had a busy summer and have not gotten out as much as we'd hoped.We met at St Jerome's Creek early in the morning...Sun was there 30 min ahead of me.
    On the troll out, I caught 2 fish. A small trout I lost at the boat and this little guy

Unbelievably, that was the end of the catching. Sun had no fish until his paddle back....when he also lost a short trout at the boat. It was still a good morning and I enjoyed a leisurely paddle back and a nice visit with Sun at the ramp.

I would have liked to fish longer but the wind changed direction making the mouth of the creek unpleasant to fish.

Sunday I had an annual appointment with Ictalarus Bill. My wife is a Kinder-4 teacher and every year when they get to the week where they study the letter "Ff", she does fish prints with them. It is really fun and Bill and I provide the small flattish fish that make the best prints. So we headed to Piney Point looking for whatever we could catch but focusing on perch.
    To my surprise, it was much easier to catch 16"-17.5" rockfish than perch! Since I was often casting my ultralight rod and casting in fairly shallow water, these fish were super fun to catch. Bill eventually caught a keeper and we continued to work shoreline till we catch enough perch. I was having a great time already, but then I hooked something extra feisty.......I thought, "Citation 'monster perch' for sure..."....imagining a 15 inch perch or some such. To my extreme surprise, this guy had taken my little Powergrub...Puppy drum have to be the best pound-per-pound fighters out there!

We caught a few more Rockfish trolling back to the ramp, .....generally enjoyable weekend.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Always great to get out on the water, glad you guys got out. I made a quick dash late Thursday
    before the weather was expected to turn and boy was I glad I did.

I have to ask... what do you have wrapped in plastic on the bow ?

Comment

Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post
      Always great to get out on the water, glad you guys got out. I made a quick dash late Thursday
      before the weather was expected to turn and boy was I glad I did.

I have to ask... what do you have wrapped in plastic on the bow ?
      My fishfinder battery.....LOL. Things are not super High-tech on the ol' Surprise. Works OK.

Comment

Awesome Kevin! I managed to get out before church this morning too. Water was flat calm at the base, and managed one little rock on top water. Praying for good weather this coming weekend!

Comment

I hit 8:30 service so we could have the whole midday! Things started calm at PP but increased....but far better than Sat.

Comment

Good work Kevin. Nice to see some reds showing up in southern MD.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

it was great fishing with you, Kevin. Thanks for braving the winds with me that morning. haha. I wonder if the super high tide had anything to do with the lackluster fishing...
              St. Jerome's is a beautiful place. I hope to fish there again soon.
              Sun Fishin'

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                My fishfinder battery.....LOL. Things are not super High-tech on the ol' Surprise. Works OK.
                Croc sandals and a plastic wrapped FF. Hmm... That's classic

Joe
                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

My wife's pre-k kids put Ictalarus Bill's fish to good use.....pretty great for 4 year olds!
                  This was from a white perch....

This one is from a bluegill Bill caught in St Mary's Lake

They all enjoyed inspecting the mouths, gills and eyeballs if the fish and looking in the body cavity where I had removed the innards (if you don't do that the poop all over the paper when you press them) a great exploratory science activity for them.

Comment

Is Dr. Ictalurus still fishing?

Joe
                    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                      My wife's pre-k kids put Ictalarus Bill's fish to good use.....pretty great for 4 year olds!
                      This was from a white perch....

This one is from a bluegill Bill caught in St Mary's Lake

They all enjoyed inspecting the mouths, gills and eyeballs if the fish and looking in the body cavity where I had removed the innards (if you don't do that the poop all over the paper when you press them) a great exploratory science activity for them.

These are great! Gives me ideas for my kids! I always call them in to watch when I clean the fish. Masgoufing them open they get to see all the inner workings of the fish. But I love the painting idea, like the pieces Rob Choi makes
                      -Mustafa
                      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                        Is Dr. Ictalurus still fishing?

Joe
                        On rare occasions, the stars align favorably and we get out on the water together....

Comment

Kevin--Those came out really well! I'll have to keep that in mind my my daughter is a little older. I'll post some action shots later.

Joe--Less and less it seems. Evening fishing trips are a distant memory. I think fishing only on weekends and my odd day off have greatly reduced my success rate. I'm still managing to get out 2-3 times a month, but it seems like my wife always works on M&G weekends. Gonna have to do something about that next year...
                          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Yeah Bill...she'll love that some day
                            BTW Ardella said "thanks" for the fish.......Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies heading your way soon I'm told

Comment

Woohoo! Cookies!

They're a bit late, but I finally got a chance to upload my pics.

Kevin fighting a shallow water striper:

My 19" striper:

My 11" perch:

Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                              X