I need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some help

Quick question what all reg do we have to go by when we use r kayaks on the water

Lights whistle stuff like that I just looking to see what I have to buy

Comment

Whistle and PFD are the basics. Light if you go out at night. State registation if you put a trolling motor on.
      Mike

Comment

Alrite thanks

Comment

Don't need a light unless you go out at night. PFD is required to be on the vessel, I would suggest always wearing it on the water. I think a whistle is required by law too, kind of silly to not have one, I have mine on the zipper of my PFD.

Kayak doesn't need to be registered as long as it is human powered, if you put any kind of motor on it you have to register it.

Edit: mweber02 beat me to it.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

How would I run lights on a kayak

Comment

Originally posted by kdkilbo View Post
              How would I run lights on a kayak
              Some folks have LED lights, I would imagine they run them off a battery. I've seen people put a flashlight on a fiberglass pole. You only need a white light that can be seen from 360º. Don't need the red/green right of way light on the front. Kayaks always have the right of way, just like sailboats...as long as they are not under motor power.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

B&D photo has a dive light for $9.99 with free shipping. It will slid into PVC pipe and you can mount it on PVC on your crate, slide it on a rod holder or what ever. Here is my DIY write up.

If you go out at night the wardens are pretty particular about this. We came back the the boat ramp a couple of weeks ago just after sunset from hunting. There were two kayakers heading in, without lights!! My buddy was running his 1648 tracker Jon boat and thought was going to run them over. They where 10' on the right when he jambed the throttle off and the boat dove nose down. The warden saw it and at least gave them a talking too, maybe paper, but I'm not sure on that one. Those boys are lucky my buddy was paying attention!

Its best to have a light even if you don't plan on being out. Safety is priceless!
                Last edited by archeryrob; 10-07-2014, 06:30 AM.
                "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

for a light, Yak Attack Visi Carbon pro is an option, flag and light combo
                  2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
                    B&D photo has a dive light for $9.99 with free shipping. It will slid into PVC pipe and you can mount it on PVC on your crate, slide it on a rod holder or what ever. Here is my DIY write up.

If you go out at night the wardens are pretty particular about this. We came back the the boat ramp a couple of weeks ago just after sunset from hunting. There were two kayakers heading in, without lights!! My buddy was running his 1648 tracker Jon boat and thought was going to run them over. They where 10' on the right when he jambed the throttle off and the boat dove nose down. The warden saw it and at least gave them a talking too, maybe paper, but I'm not sure on that one. Those boys are lucky my buddy was paying attention!

Its best to have a light even if you don't plan on being out. Safety is priceless!
                    I'm guessing you meant B&H photo

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                      I'm guessing you meant B&H photo
                      Which leads to, I'm guessing it's this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_Spotter.html

Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

^ That's the one I use on my flagpole for the yak. It works great.

Mobile

Outback 2015
                        Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
                          ^ That's the one I use on my flagpole for the yak. It works great.

Mobile
                          Did you buy it local or order online?
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

Got it online from the one you posted.

Mobile

Outback 2015
                            Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
                              Got it online from the one you posted.

Mobile
                              I just went to order one, and the confirm payment had a message above it, "I understand that my order will be shipped after 19 Oct 2014 when B&H reopens." That's weird...are they closed for this part of Rocktober?
                              Hobie fleet:
                              2017 Quest 13
                              2015 Outback
                              2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X