Trolling depth help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling depth help

I been running 3oz tandems how many ft back do I need to run them to reach 5ft

Originally posted by kdkilbo View Post
    I been running 3oz tandems how many ft back do I need to run them to reach 5ft
    Probably not very far. Do you have a depth finder? If you do, the easiest way to figure it out is to troll your normal speed over 5' of water and let out line until they start bouncing on the bottom.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Yeah I have a depth finder o was thinking maybe 30 ft back

Comment

Maybe, I don't know. Never tried anything that heavy, while only trying to get 5' down. I troll 1/2 oz jig heads and they bump the bottom at 5' deep without needing too much line. I don't know exactly how much line, a medium cast worth?
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

I troll a lot in waters of 5 ft depth or less. The heaviest jighead I use for those areas is about 1 oz. Anything heavier will be bouncing off the bottom, picking up any stray grass or slime, and finding any debris that is down there to snag.

See my post (#3 on this thread) about a detailed lure depth chart. http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ing-lure-depth

That was intended for heavy tackle trolling from boats, but may provide some insights for you.

If you are still intent on trolling heavy jigheads, I have a bunch of 2-oz jigheads up for sale on the Tackle Shop forum.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

For 5', I'd say stick with 1/2 to 1 oz. 3 oz is way too heavy...unless there is a lot of drag on it. Drag will cause lift and you'll need more weight. So an umbrella rig will need more weight than a single paddle tail to stay down. I had about 4 oz on an umbrella this weekend and it ran about 12' deep at 50' of line out.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

curious...what type of lure or lures are you trolling??? all the above info should help... the amount of line would vary depending on conditions...current, boat speed ect. let enuff line out till you hit bottom then reel up. cp said it 1st. & YakFish also, try 1/2, 3/4 to 1oz. lot less stress on your rod and reel. 3oz seems heavy to do 5 even 10ft depending what your pulling.
              Last edited by YaknBass; 10-13-2014, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Tandem bucktails

Comment

Working...
                X