Sunday Susquehanna Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Susquehanna Success

I considered fishing the Patapsco and decided to stay true to my commitment to learn as much as possible about the Susquehanna by fishing it as much as possible from my kayak. I put in on the Cecil side around 3pm yesterday. I fished the rock pools as trolling my go to spots provided nothing. I caught a few decent smallies on plastics and when the sun dipped under the tree line I switched to top water. It was on. I FINALLY found a pod of stripers that were more than cooperative. At one point in the late evening I had 16 casts in a row with a hookup or blow up. Pure bliss. Many multiple strikes on the retrieve. Only downside to the evening was when a little striper threw the plug as I was reaching for the fish and the hook buried in the thumb and it felt like it came out the top of my head. Oh yeah, I also lost my favorite blue and chrome topwater lure that has been my go to on the river. I had a really good take on top water and the rod doubled over and the drag was screaming. The fish stopped (I think it got into the rocks) and broke me off. This happened just after me commenting on a post about leader size for top water stripers. I said that I usually use 2X fluoro and can land most any striper. Lesson learned.
    Attached Files
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

We put in daybreak at lapidum and found some breaking stripers just north of the twin rocks. I may try and hit the river tomorrow. Not sure early or late.

or maybe thurs. forecast looks a little gusty tomorrow.
    Native Slayer 12
    Native Ultimate

Comment

Sorry about your thumb and your lost lure but your fishing outing was otherwise beyond excellent.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Great job Mike!! I bet it will take a while to wipe that smile of your face!
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Topwater action cures any ailment!!! I took my stats and yanked the barbed hook out of thumb and got right back to fishing. Barely felt it. Hurt this morning!

Comment

Doc, great report!! other then the thumb! need to get up there with ya on a Sunday eve!

Comment

YaknBass, I plan on being back out on Sunday. I will have to see what this weeks rain does to the river. If it is fishable I will be there. Some company would be nice. I have mostly fished by myself.

Comment

Great going Mike! Looks like you got your Masgouf candidate!
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Bill and I may be heading out Sunday too. Maybe we'll see you guys out there.
                  Native Slayer 12
                  Native Ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
                    YaknBass, I plan on being back out on Sunday. I will have to see what this weeks rain does to the river. If it is fishable I will be there. Some company would be nice. I have mostly fished by myself.
                    I would njoy the change of scenery and a chance of a few stripers, with a smallie or two... !) Hopefully the conditions on the river remain stable. I'm in for Sunday.

Comment

Nice job! Way to suck it up, rip the hook out and keep going!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                      Alan

Comment

That river is awfully beautiful early morning before the fog has burned off. It's a really nice change of scenery. If it weren't for constantly banging up my fins I'd probably fish it more

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                        Alan

Comment

Working...
                        X