Cuckold Creek - wet and wild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuckold Creek - wet and wild

I met Scott at Cuckold Creek this morning with the intent to try for Speck and Drum. As we set off the weather turned south and that 20% chance of rain is 100% when you are in it. Fighting the cold rain and a wind direction we didn't anticipate we caught a blue, rock and one speck before heading to a different spot in the creek. Off in the distance I saw some birds working and being predictable I said, "Let's head there". The next couple of hours were exciting as we chased a very fast moving pack of rocks around the coves. All of these fish were in the 16-17 3/4" class, but we were having a blast catching them. Sometimes they would be in 10' of water and then seconds later the bank erupted. Birds were everywhere and I snagged one on a cast, second bird of the year and a fighter all the way. We didn't dare throw a topwater or we would have limited out on birds. When the action died we would troll for a little bit and then would find another school (same?) working and the action was back on. Helped us forget how wet we got during the rain. Best part of the day - we had all of this action to ourselves.

Ran into a fellow kayak fisherman at the takeout who had quasi put his yak away and was driving by when he saw us. He left invigorated to get on the water soon as he literally lived one house from the put in. Best time of the year to fish without a doubt.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
    Birds were everywhere and I snagged one on a cast, second bird of the year and a fighter all the way. We didn't dare throw a topwater or we would have limited out on birds.
    That made me chuckle. I can just picture it.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

any size to the speck??
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
        any size to the speck??
        Unfortunately no. I've caught 7 or 8 from the same place and all undersized. I think it must be an elementary school.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
          Unfortunately no. I've caught 7 or 8 from the same place and all undersized. I think it must be an elementary school.
          Man I had a blast this morning, probably some of the best fishing I have had in a good while! Got to find those college aged Trout lol!! It's a good place lots of structure changes, I can see why the fish like it.

BTW... How many pounds do you think that seagull was?

Comment

Nice report.
            A picture of the gull on a hog trough would have been hilarious....lol
            2013 PRO ANGLER 12
            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
            X