Hey guys 2 quick questions if you would

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys 2 quick questions if you would

1. Does any1 go out trolling for rockfish with a paddle yak? I have a 12 ft perception pescador and I don't mind to paddle and rest and paddle lol.
    2. How do I know where to launch to find rockfish right now? I'm a total newbie to rockfishing on a yak. Any1 who can PM me and help me out would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks every1 I love u guys

you should pick up alans book on light tackle kayak trolling. it'll teach you everything you need to know
    Michael
    2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
    Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

^ what he said...

You can definitely troll with a paddle yak as long as you have good rod holders.

Just take a look around this site and you'll find some good spots. Some reports practically give gps coords
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I was unsure about trolling out of my Tarpon 120. I heard lots of conflicting advice. I bought Alan's book and it made it EASY. It has changed my style of fishing. The book is very detailed and area specific. I even troll the lower Susky to find fish. Get the book. Best $18 you will ever spend.
        Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
        Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

I bought Alan's book also, it's a good investment for us newbs.

I've fished with guys that troll with paddle power, they catch fish. You can do eeet!
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Do a search on this site for October and you will find threads from people talking about where thye have been and what they have caught. Fishing with people from this site and reading Alan's book changed my fishing game. Now I catch fish.
            Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
            Cobra Explorer

Comment

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
              I was unsure about trolling out of my Tarpon 120. I heard lots of conflicting advice. I bought Alan's book and it made it EASY. It has changed my style of fishing. The book is very detailed and area specific. I even troll the lower Susky to find fish. Get the book. Best $18 you will ever spend.
              How do you have your rods set up to troll on your tarpon? I'm still tring to find the best position to have the rods accessible yet still avoid hitting the rods with my paddle. I'm good most of the time but still wack the rods more than I'd like to.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I have my rod mounts on the forward gear trax. This may be hard to explain but I will try. I angle my rod holders facing a good bit forward (maybe 45 degrees) so the the butt of the rod is facing toward me. I have ADD pretty bad so I often forget that I am fishing and get caught up in the scenery. I put my foot rests in a position so that the rod butt is between me and both of my feet on each side. When a fish strikes and I am not paying attention (99.9% of the time) the butt of the rod pushes up against my foot and it notifies me of a strike and keeps the rod holder from spinning around all of the way. I am using gear head mounts. I lean forward, grab the rod and get down to business. I hope this makes sense. I will take a picture the next time I am out trolling which should be some time this weekend if the weather permits. The key to this working is setting the drag just right. You need enough drag to hook the fish and pull the butt of the rod around without having it too tight as the fish will pull the rod mount down as well as back. I also leash my rods when trolling. I hope this helped and didnt just confuse you.

Comment

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
                  How do you have your rods set up to troll on your tarpon? I'm still tring to find the best position to have the rods accessible yet still avoid hitting the rods with my paddle. I'm good most of the time but still wack the rods more than I'd like to.
                  Try it forward mounted if you can. I have had them off the side, angled in the back. Vertical in the back. But the NZ forward style has been better for me than all the other ways I've tried.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...Profish-Relaod

Comment

Ok guys I'm convinced, where do I buy Allens book?

Comment

Originally posted by Mattybofmd View Post
                      Amazon or Alan's facebook page. Also some local tackle shops carry them but I'm not sure where you are located to suggest one.

Comment

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
                        I have my rod mounts on the forward gear trax. This may be hard to explain but I will try. I angle my rod holders facing a good bit forward (maybe 45 degrees) so the the butt of the rod is facing toward me. I have ADD pretty bad so I often forget that I am fishing and get caught up in the scenery. I put my foot rests in a position so that the rod butt is between me and both of my feet on each side. When a fish strikes and I am not paying attention (99.9% of the time) the butt of the rod pushes up against my foot and it notifies me of a strike and keeps the rod holder from spinning around all of the way. I am using gear head mounts. I lean forward, grab the rod and get down to business. I hope this makes sense. I will take a picture the next time I am out trolling which should be some time this weekend if the weather permits. The key to this working is setting the drag just right. You need enough drag to hook the fish and pull the butt of the rod around without having it too tight as the fish will pull the rod mount down as well as back. I also leash my rods when trolling. I hope this helped and didnt just confuse you.
                        Thanks. You weren't too confusing at all.

Originally posted by Frogsauce View Post
                        Try it forward mounted if you can. I have had them off the side, angled in the back. Vertical in the back. But the NZ forward style has been better for me than all the other ways I've tried.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...Profish-Relaod
                        I tried the nz forward style you mentioned the last time I was out. I really liked how easy it was to remove the rods from the holders but I was still hitting them. Maybe I need to position the rods more vertical than I had them. I'm going out tomorrow so I'll experiment more.

Comment

One of my Wavewalk kayaks has no rodholders & I still troll & catch fish. I use 1 or 2 rods that I basically sit on the rod butt, when rod shakes or moves, I can pick up the rod to set the hook. Try places w/o a lot of grass on which to hang up your lures. Also, moving water works best.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattybofmd View Post
                            I got my copy from Amazon. Some of the local shops carry it as well.

Comment

Ok I'll check Amazon, what is the book title?

Comment

Working...
                              X