Bouncy ride at Severn mouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bouncy ride at Severn mouth

I have had out of town travel during the past three weeks that curtailed my usual frequency of local fishing. I launched from the Ellen O. Moyer water park ramp into Back Creek about 9:20 this morning. I trolled 4 lines from my kayak this morning near the mouth of the Severn. Shortly after exiting the creek, I caught a 19" striper and later caught several smaller ones on that side of the river. I had a series of difficulties with sailboaters heading out the river failing to alter course. My understanding of the USCG rules is that the vessel approaching from the right has the right of way. These guys paid no attention to that rule and held their course. I had to alter my course (while dragging 4 lines) to avoid collisions. Even after I had altered course, one bozo turned back toward me and nearly ran right across my stern. I yelled at him that I had lines out behind me. Fortunately none of the lines got snagged. There seemed to be no end to the sailboats on the Annapolis side, so I pedaled across to the northern shoreline and continued trolling. I caught my largest of the day (21.5") in 20 ft depth and had several more smaller fish. I continued out past Greenbury Pt and up into Whitehall Bay to get in the wind shadow. There were birds sitting on the water but no stripers were biting.

The wind built steadily throughout the morning. It was not much fun coming back across the river in late morning with steady 2 footers slamming me on the starboard quarter. In addition, I faced numerous large wakes from huge boats motoring by. With 4" of freeboard, I took several waves into the cockpit, including one that drenched my pants and underwear with 5 gallons. The water was 67-69 deg today, so the drenching was not as bad as it could have been. The Slayer Propel 13 has large diameter scuppers that drained the water quickly.

001.jpg

My Native Slayer Propel 13 handled the waves well -- I actually trolled 4 lines the whole way back across in those waves and caught two of my fish during that time. The hot lure was a 3/4" jighead with a smoke colored 4" twister tail. It accounted for 6 of the 7 fish I caught.

My luckiest moment came as I took the kayak out of the water. The Ellen O. Moyer park has a plastic coated ramp attached to the dock. I pulled up next to the dock and got out. I tied a rope to the bow and pulled the kayak around a piling to orient it for removal. I slid the kayak up the ramp and onto the deck surface. I had 5 rods with me today. As I unloaded, I counted only 4 rods. I had a sinking feeling that I had lost one while returning. After a quick look to the bottom of the ramp, I breathed a sigh of relief -- the rod had caught on a nail on the piling and was hanging vertically with the Stradic reel just out of the water.

002.jpg

If the seas had been calmer, I could have spent more time working spots where I had hoped to concentrate. Mother Nature did not cooperate today.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

You're pretty brave going out in this wind, you top picture looks a little rougher than it was yesterday on the bay. Glad you got some fish and found your rod "dry".
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

I saw you going out of Back Creek this AM. I was volunteering at the Annapolis Maritime Museum (Old McNasby's Oyster House). It is located near the mouth of Back Creek. Lots of boats, okay, this is the Power Boat Show weekend. They are everywhere. Glad you were able to catch a few.
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Thanks for the detailed report John. That last picture of your rod is classic; you couldn't have posed it like that if you wanted to! Glad the reel stayed dry.
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
          Thanks for the detailed report John. That last picture of your rod is classic; you couldn't have posed it like that if you wanted to! Glad the reel stayed dry.
          A loop of braided line caught on the nail, preventing a dunking.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Wow, now that's lucky - glad you didn't lose it!
            Brian

Comment

Working...
            X