One fish and wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One fish and wind

told myself I wasn't going out, but stupidity took over my head. Launched at Clarks Landing around 9:30. Wind was blowing in the most unfavorable direction and swirling at times, but at least no white caps and I could see birds flying. Trolled around my favorite spots and passed over huge schools of minnows and alewives, but only picked up one 16" rock. Wind seemed to be getting stronger and the gusts stopped me dead in the water when I peddled into it at times. Hat was threatening to do an unintended departure so I decided to call it quits around noon. I could not imagine even being in the main stem of the Patuxent, much less the bay. Hope the weekend moderates the wind some
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

The same for Severn River. I launched at Tucker St. Around 7am. Paddled to mouths of Weems creek and worked my way down the western shore. Wasn't too bad going down, but not much action. Got to the New(old) Severn River bridge, worked around there for a while, but got chased out of there by three 35ft power boats that apparently we're doing some break in trials. They were going in large circles around the piers. Their waves were just too much, so I headed back to Weems into the stronger wind. Gave up about 10, couple of hits, but no fish. Maybe Tuesday.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by jrentch View Post
      ...but got chased out of there by three 35ft power boats that apparently we're doing some break in trials. They were going in large circles around the piers. Their waves were just too much...
      Powerboats with no respect for others really get on my nerves.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
        Powerboats with no respect for others really get on my nerves.
        Experienced that same thing a few weeks ago at Jonas. 35 footer probably doing 20 kts under the bridge as I was right next to it. Not fun. One other about same size did slow to almost no wake when he saw me, so just depends on whether they are jerks or not. But its scary when you're in the wake of a boat like that at close range

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
          told myself I wasn't going out, but stupidity took over my head. Launched at Clarks Landing around 9:30. Wind was blowing in the most unfavorable direction and swirling at times, but at least no white caps and I could see birds flying. Trolled around my favorite spots and passed over huge schools of minnows and alewives, but only picked up one 16" rock. Wind seemed to be getting stronger and the gusts stopped me dead in the water when I peddled into it at times. Hat was threatening to do an unintended departure so I decided to call it quits around noon. I could not imagine even being in the main stem of the Patuxent, much less the bay. Hope the weekend moderates the wind some
          Winds are not our friend. Had a similar experience a few weeks back while I was in VA for a week. Planned a trip to North Metompkin Island. Launched in the AM with no winds, a perfect day on a outgoing tide. On the return trip the winds picked up from the south, the first mile was good, until I turned the bend into a 20-30 mph headwind. I was determined to get through this 3 mile stretch, was paddling at about 1.5 mph for the first mile when a local guy in a skiff pulled beside me and asked if I wanted a tow to the bend. It did not take me long to agree. So he towed me to the turn in the bend heading east. I paddled the last mile to the launch without incident. The whole time I was thinking, I could have done this without a tow, but later thought, I am glad he offered. My mistake, not checking afternoon winds. Lesson learned.
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
          X