Just Below Bay Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Below Bay Bridge

Jeff Little and I went out to shoot an episode for Tight Line Junkie's Journal so I took off today since this weekend was so windy. Well, today was pretty windy too but the fishing was on fire. We were greeted by flocks of birds that showed us the way. I couldn't keep fish off the line. Many times two at once. One time was 3 at once and another time was 3 in 30 seconds....I've got the video of that up here: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Most fish were caught between 30' and 10'. Cowpokey mentioned that most of his fish were caught in less than 10' of water regardless of the depth he was in, and I would say that was true today with a caveat. I trolled a pair of my Chesapeake Rigs, one running deep and one running shallow. They both hit, but the smaller fish were higher. When the deep lure hit, the fish was typically bigger. So they were spread through the water column, but bigger ones seemed deeper.

You know you're using the right lures when the fish inhale them like this!
    Attached Files

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

You the man
    Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
    Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice job!

Mobile

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

outstanding!! huge area of water the birds were covering from the pic's had to be exciting to experience that. hope the footage turned outwell...looks like it did from the pic"s fish looked fat and healthy. are the ""Chesapeake Rigs"" the ones you made? they seem to working well sounds like a marketing adventure hmmmm??? capitalize on the umbrella rig but to higher level...Chesapeake Rigs for Chesapeake Pigs

Comment

Originally posted by YaknBass View Post
          outstanding!! huge area of water the birds were covering from the pic's had to be exciting to experience that. hope the footage turned outwell...looks like it did from the pic"s fish looked fat and healthy. are the ""Chesapeake Rigs"" the ones you made? they seem to working well sounds like a marketing adventure hmmmm??? capitalize on the umbrella rig but to higher level...Chesapeake Rigs for Chesapeake Pigs
          Hahaha, I like the jingle. Yeah, these I made myself and they're the best lure I've found for this time of year. I've been using them 3 years now. I am selling them, but I'm not making a huge effort to do so. They're a ton of work and it's already hard to keep up with demand :-) I'll make them as long as I'm having fun doing it.

I've never seen birds like that. I thought, Jackpot! They dissipated after about 2 hours but the fish still hung around. The school was obviously moving around and we had to chase them. It's much easier to stay on the school when the birds are there. When they're not, you just have to guess where the school went.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Good job!
            Now you are making me fish BB.

Thank you
            Joe
            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Good day on the water. Come fish this way more often!

Comment

I love the expressions on your face in your fish pics, we always know you're having a great time. Nice work and thanks for posting!
                2014 Hobie Pro Angler
                2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

Sweet Alan! Very true about the bigger ones being deeper. The umbrella rig I was using was running deeper than the single jig. All the smaller fish hit the single jig and the bigger fish hit the deeper umbrella.

Looks like you were using the perfect profiled bait. I learned that from my last outing
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
                  X