Beverly-Triton Sunday 11/9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beverly-Triton Sunday 11/9

After the awesome reports from the M&G yesterday, Nitefly, dinscore and I decided to give it a go today. We got a little later start than anticipated but immediately got into birds and breaking fish. That was pretty much our day....chasing birds...finding the fish....chasing birds. Almost all my fish were caught in 16-17 foot of water. Oddly most came from relatively structure-less water. We generally had two strategies, casting into where birds were feeding, or trolling around searching for breaking fish or birds. My casting lures of the day: rapala rippin' rap, bucktails, and a yozuri deep diver. For trolling I used a tandem set of 1 oz. roadrunner bucktails and an Alabama style parachute with a single trailing paddletail. Plenty of fish out there. Football shaped and healthy. I lost track of how many I caught total. The two I kept were 21 and 19.

I was very happy with my new Lucid fish grips that I got to use for the first time today. They are really light, and a major upgrade from the plastic ones I had been using. I've had issue with fish popping the lock of my other ones, but none today had a chance, no matter how apesh** they went.

Here's some pics from the day, Dave and Eric, I know you got some better ones you can add...
    the
    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback

Nice report. Those are some pretty fish!
    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
    Cobra Explorer

Comment

I hope they r there this afternoon me n my buddy r headed down about 12pm

Comment

Nice report, goes to show you have to go to the fish instead of waiting for the fish to come to you. They look nice and healthy.
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Fantastic trip! I filled up a 64gb GoPro card with footage but have only sifted through the first 45 minutes. Video freeze-frame pics from that time are posted below and will post more as I'm able to go through the shots.

(And I can't say enough good things about Brunton ALL DAY battery for the GoPro. It kept me filming and fishing instead of constantly changing batteries)

bay_stripers_2014 (1 of 11).jpg
          bay_stripers_2014 (2 of 11).jpg
          bay_stripers_2014 (4 of 11).jpg
          bay_stripers_2014 (5 of 11).jpg
          bay_stripers_2014 (7 of 11).jpg
          bay_stripers_2014 (8 of 11).jpg
          bay_stripers_2014 (9 of 11).jpg
          bay_stripers_2014 (10 of 11).jpg
          bay_stripers_2014 (11 of 11).jpg

High rez shots here... https://plus.google.com/photos/10241...CLO_75WWqp3wVA
          ========================
          Hobie Pro Angler 14
          Hobie Outback
          Hobie Mirage i11s
          Check out all my vids at www.yakvids.com
          Follow on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEp...eAiuK2n9i5RFNg
          Follow on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/yakvids/

Comment

Nice work. How is your go pro camera rigged on your yak? Looks like you might be using a camera boom? I'm checking out your battery now, thanks for the tip. Trying to find out if it will work with a Hero 3 white model. Looks like it might be designed for the Hero 3+, but I can't tell. The 3+ case is slightly different than the 3.

Comment

Hey-Nice meeting you guys yesterday. Those are some great pics. That was fun chasing the birds around...Although it seemed like the action would slow whenever the boats got close. I just switched to the Lucid grips also and I love them. Tight lines!!!
              John D.
              2015 Hobie Revolution 13
              GO RAVENS!!!
              GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dinscore View Post
                Fantastic trip! I filled up a 64gb GoPro card with footage but have only sifted through the first 45 minutes. Video freeze-frame pics from that time are posted below and will post more as I'm able to go through the shots.
                Great shots. Really fun to look at. Thanks for sharing.
                Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                Cobra Explorer

Comment

It was a great trip! I left my phone in the car, so no pics, but had my best day as far as number of keepers at 5. I took home a 19" and 22". The other keepers were 18-19. I met three new snagged liners: Alabamasomething, deleonjo and MdDior. Great day to be on the water!
                  2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
                  Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Originally posted by YakCapn View Post
                    Nice work. How is your go pro camera rigged on your yak? Looks like you might be using a camera boom? I'm checking out your battery now, thanks for the tip. Trying to find out if it will work with a Hero 3 white model. Looks like it might be designed for the Hero 3+, but I can't tell. The 3+ case is slightly different than the 3.
                    Here's a shot of the camera setup. It's a yak attack panfish with a yak attack dog bone extension.

As I understand it the brunton all day will only fit the hero3+ case. However the hero3 will fit in the 3+ case ($50 on Amazon.com) so you can pick that up without having to go all in on the 3+ upgrade.
                    Last edited by dinscore; 11-11-2014, 05:49 PM.
                    ========================
                    Hobie Pro Angler 14
                    Hobie Outback
                    Hobie Mirage i11s
                    Check out all my vids at www.yakvids.com
                    Follow on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEp...eAiuK2n9i5RFNg
                    Follow on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/yakvids/

Comment

That's great, that's actually the one I just bought from Austin Kayak today. I called to ask them about this Yak Attack Panfish model vs. the Railblaza Camera Boom 600. They said they sold more of the Yak Attack one and it will fit on Scotty Mounts. I should get it by Friday. I bought this model: http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...tack%20panfish

I also checked on the Brunton All Day camera and their response was "I have confirmed with our product department that the allday is only compatible with the Hero3+. The casing and battery do not line up properly on alternate models of the gopro." Its still not completely clear to me that I couldn't put the Hero 3 white model camera in a Hero 3+ case and be able to use it. I just went with this model of extender instead: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                      It won't last as long and I'll have to switch batteries at some point after 3.5 to 4 hours, but I can live with that. Especially if the panfish mount swings around. I put it more on the front side than on the bow of the kayak and should be able to reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitefly View Post
                        It was a great trip! I left my phone in the car, so no pics, but had my best day as far as number of keepers at 5. I took home a 19" and 22". The other keepers were 18-19. I met three new snagged liners: Alabamasomething, deleonjo and MdDior. Great day to be on the water!
                        I'll second that...Sunday was a terrific day to be out. I lost count of the catch after a couple of hours, but I pulled in many keeper-size fish, with the largest coming in at just over 24". It was nice meeting Nitefly, jhoss, and dinscore on the water. Hope to see you guys out there again sometime!
                        Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Ditto man, good meeting ya...thanks for letting me check out your yak!
                          John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                          Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                          2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Fantastic outting!

@dinscore haha that's the worst part of video! Re watching every clip to find the goodstuff! Lol

Comment

Working...
                            X