Quick cat trip, Marshall Hall, 11/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick cat trip, Marshall Hall, 11/16

I had a narrow window to do some fishing today, so Kevin and I hit the Potomac at Marshall Hall from about 9:45 to 12:45, which was from early to mid-flood. The water temperature was only 46-47*!

We headed across the river to one of Kevin's spots, and he picked up two cats in short order. I think the biggest was 23". Nothing for me despite fishing only 20ft away.

We didn't have much any luck after that, so we headed back across the river. Kevin fished closer to shore in shallower water while I stopped over some promising marks. I picked up this guy on nightcrawlers:

Kevin caught two more in the same amount of time and was working on a third, so I headed closer in. Here's one of Kevin's that got away:

Here's one that didn't:

That was one of his smallest for the day. Around noon, things started picking up, and Kevin found the sweet spot. I missed a fish with a nice run and landed another on nightcrawlers. Right before we left, all three of my rods went off one after the other. All my fish were smaller than my first one, but I ended up landing 5 or 6 fish total. Kevin caught around 7. I only caught one fish and had one other run on cut menhaden, one fish on Kevin's magic venison, and caught the rest on nightcrawlers. Incidentally, I used "Mike's Mean Green Nightcrawlers", which are dyed chartreuse. The guy at the tackle shop said they were supposed to be tougher and the dye was an attractant. I didn't notice that they were any tougher, and the dye just made more of a mess than usual. I'd stick with the natural version next time.

It was a good day on the water, and I was lucky enough to catch my November fish, which was looking iffy. I'm hoping this upcoming cold spell will be short...
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Fun day for sure.....Marshall Hall is my favorite cold water fishing excursion spot. It was funny how the fish seemed to be biting in a narrow band of water. I was catching 60% on nightcrawlers and the rest on salted venison scraps.
    Bummed about the fish I LOST.....my own fault, the knot slipped

stringer....small fish on top
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Sounds like a good day on the water. Some fish is better then no fish.
      Tan-Tarpon 140
      Lime-Pelican Matrix
      Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Nice work guys looks like a good haul.

Comment

Working...
        X