Good pickerel day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good pickerel day

I fished in three Severn tributaries on Monday with limited success. I caught just three pickerel in three hours of casting. Yesterday was a different story. I visited two other Severn tributaries and caught 17 pickerel, including fish of 20" and 21". The biggest difference between the two days was the water level -- it was low on Mon and very high on Wed. The high water covered many branches and fallen wood and provided much more shallow flats habitat near the shorelines. Every fish I caught yesterday was tight to the shore in 6" to 18" depth.

This time of year afternoon trips are tough -- I launched at 1:15 and had to stop fishing by 4:15 to get back to the launch before dark. I left the fish biting and could easily have caught more if I had more daylight.

All fish were caught on live minnows on a 1/8-oz jighead, cast and retrieved using a steady slow retrieve.

001.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

John, you are indeed the pickerel whisperer! Belated congrats on the recent PB!

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
      John, you are indeed the pickerel whisperer! Belated congrats on the recent PB!
      Thanks Gary. I have heard reports of larger pickerel being caught this year from freshwater locales around the state, like the huge one you caught a few years ago. For the tidal Severn, 24" is near their upper size range.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
      X