Any Wilderness Ride 135 owners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Wilderness Ride 135 owners?

Who has a ride 135? Especially big guys, and how do you like it, and is it stable enough?

Plenty stable for us big guys. but you will be sitting in water.
    I'm 280 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by plastic boat View Post
      I'm 280 lbs
      Do you use scupper plugs?

Comment

I'm 280 lbs
        Not sure what you were doing to be sitting in water? I have owned a 2012 135 for three years never need to use plugs, and fish open bay 90% of the time. Very rare to be wet, and with the new high seat it is even dryer. It is not equal to the side rail height of a PA, but that boat comes with it's own trade offs... Weight, cost, and even those nice high sides can be a issue getting a big striper or bull up and over. Not to mention the impossible task of paddling that boat if the mirage fails off shore. The WS Ride is super stable, easy to stand in, and not all that heavy to haul around (I put mine on top of a Ford Econoline). The short coming of the Ride is it's lack of glide when you stop paddling, all that rocker and duel tunnel hull that gives it the stability also makes it a middle of the road yak as far as speed. Thus, the reason I also own the new 2015 Revo 13 with turbo fins. Still use both boats, each one has it's own strengths and weakness.

Comment

The water is about 1' or more deep from just if front of the seat up to my feet. it doesn't take much to get the water into the seat area.
          Mine is one of the first ones made after the hull update I believe its a 2008. When they changed from calling it the Ride into calling it the Ride 135. It's by far the wettest kayak I have. Fishing out of it is great, plenty stable you can sit on the side of it and not worry about turning it over. But I just cant use it when the water is cold.

Out of the 5 SOT fishing kayaks I have it's the only one that is wet like this.

Before you buy any kayak go to the in water demos this spring and try them all out. Most of the good kayak shop will have the demos this spring
          find what works for you. Remember you still have to hall it around in something so make sure the length and weight are no to much to handle..
          Last edited by plastic boat; 12-12-2014, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
            Not sure what you were doing to be sitting in water? I have owned a 2012 135 for three years never need to use plugs, and fish open bay 90% of the time. Very rare to be wet, and with the new high seat it is even dryer. It is not equal to the side rail height of a PA, but that boat comes with it's own trade offs... Weight, cost, and even those nice high sides can be a issue getting a big striper or bull up and over. Not to mention the impossible task of paddling that boat if the mirage fails off shore. The WS Ride is super stable, easy to stand in, and not all that heavy to haul around (I put mine on top of a Ford Econoline). The short coming of the Ride is it's lack of glide when you stop paddling, all that rocker and duel tunnel hull that gives it the stability also makes it a middle of the road yak as far as speed. Thus, the reason I also own the new 2015 Revo 13 with turbo fins. Still use both boats, each one has it's own strengths and weakness.
            The original poster ask about the Ride 135 for a big guy. I am 6" and 280 lbs = Big guy
            If you are not a Big Guy your and my experience will be different in the same boat.
            I like the boat just don't like sitting in the water when it cold .
            Last edited by plastic boat; 12-12-2014, 11:09 PM. Reason: cant spell

Comment

The original poster ask about the Ride 135 for a big guy. I am 6" and 280 lbs = Big guy
              If you are not a Big Guy your and my experience will be different in the same boat.
              I like the boat just don't like sitting in the water when it cold .
              Jeff you have me out weighed by a buck, but I know a few guys close to your size that use the Ride. I will say I have the reputation with my fishing buddies of carrying way to much stuff, and I have camped out with all the gear needed for 2-3 days. I just have never had any issues with a wet seat even fully loaded (unless I was taking face shots from waves lol). Perhaps Willy made some changes in the boat from 08 to 12. In any case, you are certainly right that individual experiences vary and a demo day is the way to work all that out before he buys.

Comment

I just checked mine is a 2007 with a max capacity if 400 lbs. The 2015 the max capacity is 550 lbs. They may have changed something on the hull or the deck to get the increase but they look identical in the photos on wilderness's web site -- except for the hatches and seat

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/kayaks/ride/ride-135

http://old.wildernesssystems.com/pro...ide_135_angler

Comment

I think we might have found the reason for our different experiences. If your Ride capacity was only 400 that would only leave a little over 100 lbs. for gear. I upgraded to the new MaxPro Air seat which sits 6" high off the floor. That seat ,by the way, is an industry best IMO for comfort (I have paddled 10 hrs in a day without numb butt). The new Hobie Vantage CT is a close second.

Comment

2015 ride 135

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome yak. I like the new color for 2015
                      Tan-Tarpon 140
                      Lime-Pelican Matrix
                      Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Sweet, I know you will enjoy her.

Comment

I too am a big guy....5'11" 250 lbs (I'm working on it) and I paddle a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160. I have yet to fish out of it but I have been paddling it for a couple of summers now and am very impressed with the speed and stability. It is a rather large yak at 16' long and weighs in at 75 pounds but I feel safe and secure in it plus I can get to where I am going pretty fast. Comes in handy when a storm is brewing on the horizon and you need to get in fast, plus the rudder helps. Thinking about adding a sail for the days when the fish aren't biting.
                          Joe
                          Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160

Comment

The ride 135 is a great yak for large guys, but should also be really nice for regular sized folks. It is the most stable yak I have tried (more stable than the outback) and is not that slow. It is not as fast as a Tarpon for sure, but I had issues on my tarpon being a bigger guy and was not willing to sacrifice safety for speed. I have taken the ride on some good distance paddles...mine has seen cbbt 1st island more than a few times (and so did the tarpon, but you don't want to hear about the issues I had with that thing). The newer style ride should be very dry for guys up to 300lbs or so....I have been up to 260 since I owned mine and have had it loaded up with all kinds of stuff on some of all day trips. The ride also tracks incredibly well without a rudder and I never found the need to install one. I really love mine and would keep it if I did not have such bad shoulders (1 reconstructed with arthritis setting in and just tore my rotator cuff on the other recently.

Comment

I just checked mine is a 2007 with a max capacity if 400 lbs. The 2015 the max capacity is 550 lbs. They may have changed something on the hull or the deck to get the increase but they look identical in the photos on wilderness's web site -- except for the hatches and seat

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/kayaks/ride/ride-135

http://old.wildernesssystems.com/pro...ide_135_angler
                              Look at measurements...considerably more volume with extra 1" of height and other minor differences
                              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                              X