Potomac downstream of Dickerson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac downstream of Dickerson

So I'd like to try my luck for the next couple of months fishing the warn water discharge downstream of the Dickerson power plant. Tried last year and got nothing. Any of you kind folks have suggestions? My eldest would like to try for catfish which I've heard can be caught there.

I was there back in late January of 2013. I caught a bunch of channel catfish on a suspending jerkbait and a largemouth on a jig. The problem is that they are not generating everyday anymore (no warm discharge = tough river fishing in the winter). I had heard that the plant is being slowly phased out of operation so you may want to find out if there is a schedule available anyplace.
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Yeah, the Dickerson power plant is on it's way out. Too expensive to upgrade to new air quality standards. So it's not used as much as it once was. And for WWDs to attract fish they pretty much need to be discharging warm water most of the time to keep the fish there. Too bad too. Back in the day when they were generating most of the time the winter fishing was pretty darn good.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Fortunately I live close enough to the plant that I can see the steam rising when it is operation.

How far off shore have you guys had luck? Place I was trying seemed awfully shallow for a long way out.

Comment

Back in the '80s and '90s we always just fished from shore right across from the end of the island.
          With the discharge chute running parallel to the MD shore, the warm water ends up right in front of you.
          Its a good mile walk from the parking lot, but a kayak is certainly not necessary.
          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

buzz is right, I was actually there January of 2014 (I had posted 2013 above), I was catching catfish on a suspending jerkbait in that shallow water right next to the shoreline and while I took my kayak that day it was not really necessary for fishing that section, waders will allow you to to cover that water (I would still recommend that anyone stepping into the water wear a PFD)
            Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Anyone use fire tiger colored lures for catfish? I've caught them in lakes casting fire tiger colored rattle traps and trolling fire tiger colored Bomber 6As and Storm Rattle Tots.

Not in the winter time, but spring/summer. My dad said it was probably because the fire tiger color sort of mimics blue gills in the water, which big catfish like to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post
                So I'd like to try my luck for the next couple of months fishing the warn water discharge downstream of the Dickerson power plant. Tried last year and got nothing. Any of you kind folks have suggestions? My eldest would like to try for catfish which I've heard can be caught there.
                I work at Dickerson Generating Station, seen people catching catfish at the end of discharge recently in the morning. Usually we run more pumps in morning for the kayakers or Montgomery County Fire Dept that use the course for training. Unless weather gets colder probably wont see plant online to discharge warm weather. Though water temperature on discharge is still slightly above river water temp.

Comment

Is there any way of finding out when the station does run a discharge?

Comment

You guys are bringing up a lot of good memories from the 80's for me. Parking at the lot and trudging up through the nettle weed in the dark to the discharge to fish for catfish all night. The water at the discharge is very shallow as is most of that stretch. there are some deep holes around the mouth of the monocacy.

Comment

Station has been online since the 3rd, will be online as long as temperatures stay below 30's at night.

Comment

Went here today with my son and we had no luck. But both of us are interested enough to try again. Simply beautiful weather to enjoy while fishing today.

Comment

Working...
                        X