1st night launch in my Wavewalk 500/1st fish of the new year 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st night launch in my Wavewalk 500/1st fish of the new year 2015

Firstly, I want to wish everyone a safe & happy new year!
    The new year began for me with being sick just like everyone else.
    On sunday 1/4 the warm air temps got me itching to make my new year resolution a reality( to kayakfish every month of the year) & to self-medicate & use paddle/casting therapy to rid
    myself of this nasty cold. I loaded up & left the house @2pm, arriving at the launch on the eastern shore by
    5 pm.
    After putting on my drysuit,gloves, hat, light, the few lures that worked during my nov & dec launches, drink, & wetcloth, I launched into a small chop caused by a slight southerly breeze. It was high tide & soon it was slacktide. I paddled around working structure to no avail. I even trolled around too but no luck even as I spooked thousands of birds sitting on the water. Still, I had a hunch my luck would turn soon.
    My 1st hit was a big one that shook off. I set the hook on my 2nd hit just as the tide started moving out. I reeled in a football that was only 16" long, but it felt much bigger. For the next 3 hours the fishing was slower than in nov/dec but it was on! I ended up catching a couple dz stripers, all 16-22" long, all safely released using the wetcloth to handle them. Swimbaits & bucktails bounced on the bottom did the trick.
    I noticed the wind changing direction around 9 pm. From the west a line of dark clouds approached so I
    made one long cast then I stuck my rod butt under my leg to hold it in place & I started paddling like a madman to the launch. I took a couple of waves over the bow & the wind tried to blow the paddle out of my hands but I kept paddling until my rod started shaking violently. I had hooked another striper while trolling back. I had fun catching those fish but I lost a few too. I was surprised I didn't catch any wp or yp because I caught a big wp (12.5")just under citation limit (13") back in dec. it didn't start raining until I was driving back home.

Nice job on the fish any fish in the offseason is a success in my book. Just curious did you have to stop and bail out water in the wavewalk? That sure is an interesting looking kayak.

Comment

Wow, you got it bad to fish at night this time if year.... Nice report
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I got a lil bit of water in my yak from one wave that clocked me at 2 o'clock while I was paddling in, then probably the rest of it from dripping off my paddle.
        I didn't have to bail but I was prepared to do so if necessary as I did bring along a bailer. In nov & dec I
        Kayakfished quite a few times. I enjoy the tranquility & peacefulness. I have a hectic schedule & envy those who can
        Fish early in the morn ( wish I could).Usually, I have company with me, but sometimes I meet someone else doing the same thing I'm doing. Even though I have caught fish at all hours, I have found that early morn & evenings at night are best when the tide is moving. Of course, when hunting for snakeheads the opposite is true. I emptied maybe an inch of water before loading the yak onto my car. When I cannot fish I look forward to seeing everyone else's fishing reports.

Comment

thanks for the report. cool to hear about night fishing in January and actually catching fish!
          Jackson
          Jackson Cuda 12
          Field and Stream SOT
          "It is often beyond our reach to describe to others the effect upon the soul that the fellowship of men upon a river, rod in hand, brings." John Eldredge

Comment

Working...
          X