Patapsco River 1/11/2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cryptotek View Post
    The weather this weekend looks to be in the 40s near the Patapsco. I think I might give it a shot! Beautiful fish!
    You're right next to the bay bridge, they're there too. They've been catching them on the rock piles as well. Just look for deep water.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Yea, but I suspect the Patapsco is calmer than the bay. Thoughts?

Comment

Yea, but I suspect the Patapsco is calmer than the bay. Thoughts?
        The Patapso still is the bay, just not main stem. It's still pretty big water out there. Wind can make it very tough as well, which is the biggest problem. It's also a main shipping area so you have to have your head on a swivel out there when you're in the channel, so make sure to be visible! Be careful wherever you go.

Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
          The Patapso still is the bay, just not main stem. It's still pretty big water out there. Wind can make it very tough as well, which is the biggest problem. It's also a main shipping area so you have to have your head on a swivel out there when you're in the channel, so make sure to be visible! Be careful wherever you go.
          I'm a little worried about you to be honest. The water is absolutely frigid and I know you just got started. I don't want you to get in a bad situation. I think you should make sure to go with someone.

Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Nothing will keep these guys from catching a striper, impressive !!

Comment

Alan,

Copy all. I've looked at the charts; those fish are hanging out in the channel for sure. If my drysuit gets here on time perhaps I will see some fellow snaggedliners out there.

Take care, and thanks for the advice.

R/
              Steve

Comment

Alan,

Just saw your previous posts of concern. I appreciate that. I spent some time on the kayak over the summer and early fall, and feel comfortable. I will have a dry suit and have also practiced re-entry. Also fairly familiar with boating in general as we had family boat growing up. And also have some basic in-water training from the good ol' U.S. Navy. I'll do what I can to be safe.

Take care, and keep posting more pics!

Comment

I will have a dry suit and have also practiced re-entry.
                  Maybe I missed it in your other post(s), but just curious, which dry suit are you getting?
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Nice job on the winter catch there yak fish!

Mobile

Outback 2015
                    Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                      Maybe I missed it in your other post(s), but just curious, which dry suit are you getting?
                      Ordering the Mythik Drysuit. Retails for $250. Read some good reviews from another kayaker; basic suit. No bells/whistles.

http://www.mythicdrysuits.com/

Comment

Ordering the Mythik Drysuit. Retails for $250. Read some good reviews from another kayaker; basic suit. No bells/whistles.

http://www.mythicdrysuits.com/
                        Bells and whistles can be worth the extra $$$. Relief zipper was worth it for me, it's nice to keep everything in place and relieve the bladder on the water without needing to strip layers which could also lead to upsetting the apple cart.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

I certainly considered that. Better suits are about $150 more expensive. I would prefer to mosy back in (with my trolling motor) to take a leak than have to position myself carefully enough to take a leak in frigid water temps. Less movement the better for me.

Comment

I did the nervous water bladder relief with waders and dry top, it wasn't fun...since I had to strip layers and pull my waders down.

I did the relief zipper, empty the bladder, felt much safer. I tend to fish a good distance from a landing most of the time, and it's always better to stay "on" the fishing grounds.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

Cool, as long as you're comfortable out there.

Just head out to the channel from the launch and zig zag around the channel, go north and south looking for marks on your fish finder. When you find marks, go for it. But like I said, be careful because that channel is heavily used. I don't like being in the middle of it, but that's what it takes. Make sure to have a flag or something visible.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                              Torqeedo Pro Staff
                              Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                                I did the nervous water bladder relief with waders and dry top, it wasn't fun...since I had to strip layers and pull my waders down.

I did the relief zipper, empty the bladder, felt much safer. I tend to fish a good distance from a landing most of the time, and it's always better to stay "on" the fishing grounds.
                                After much debate (mostly with myself) I decided to pay an extra $75 for the relief zipper. Given the length of time and distance that I fish I won't likely need it, but you're right... it's ultimately worth the extra dough.

Exciting stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X