Jones Park: Potomac River Cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jones Park: Potomac River Cats

Had a few hours to spare so I purchased some fresh shad and headed out to Wilson Bridge For a couple of hours. Loaded up the kayak went to the floating docks and right as I pushed off from the dock I realized I had no paddle. Thankfully a shore fisherman was wanting me to do a bait drop for him and was standing right next to me to grab the nose of my kayak before I floated too far away. Determined to still fish after driving all the way down there I quickly found that the Hawg Trough makes a decent back up paddle haha.

Slow start but eventually started to get bites as the water started to move. A lot of bites, but none seemed big enough to keep bait and a 3/0 circle hook in their mouth. They were very strong bites. Strong enough for me to feel the kayak shake a little while I was looking elsewhere.

Got one to keep the hook in its mouth and it was a healthy 25" er.

My feet started to go numb after the sunset and the water on my kayak turned to ice so I decided to call it an evening.

First Kayak Fish 2015.jpg
    The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Nice job and good resourcefulness with the hawg paddle lol
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

After my 1st time leaving my paddle at home I swore I would never do it again. 3 days later I put the paddle across the dining room table, a place where you would think it would have been impossible to forget, but I'll be damned I had to come back for it. I never would have thought to use the hawg trough, that must have been brutal though. Way to pull through with it!
      Mike

Comment

way to knot() quit, last year my bro and I each used a half a paddle for a whole day...it wasn't great, but better than driving over an hour in round trip time

Comment

dson05, I really like that photo of the catfish and the bridge. Is that a GoPro image?

Comment

Yeah. Gopro silver hero4. I don't take photos often with the camera because playing with the setting gets tricky while trying to keep the fish in the boat and get it back in the water healthy. I just keep it in video Mode then freeze frame it on my computer then crop it in paint.
            The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

I use the same method getting pics from my gopro
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

First i have to give you guys credit for going out in freezing temperatures. nice resourcefulness to use the Hawg.
                I have grudgingly accepted the "getting old and forgetful" part of aging because the alternatives are not so good.
                I now have a checklist hanging in my garage.

Comment

drove two hours once to go fishing and realized I forgot my paddle after sitting down in my kayak and pushing off the shore... I know the feeling. Did some good shore fishing though.
                  Jackson
                  Jackson Cuda 12
                  Field and Stream SOT
                  "It is often beyond our reach to describe to others the effect upon the soul that the fellowship of men upon a river, rod in hand, brings." John Eldredge

Comment

Get a Hobie, if you forget one mode of propulsion, there's always a backup
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working on it. haha.
                      Originally posted by Shady View Post
                      Get a Hobie, if you forget one mode of propulsion, there's always a backup

Comment

Thats an awesome day out. The days where nothing goes right are always more interesting and there always days you remember. I a few years ago i at the cbka i won a small hand paddle, you can easily keep inside your kayak at all times. Maybe i will keep my mini paddle tucked away in my kayak for a just incaser.
                        Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                        -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                        -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Working...
                        X