March M&G---Marshall Hall/Bushwood 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March M&G---Marshall Hall/Bushwood 2015

I believe 9 hardy kayak Anglers came out today. Rockchaser said that fish don't mind the rain, and he was right. When I woke up today I checked the weather forecast and saw that the rain was going to let up around 11 and stop by 12 pm and then pickup again in the afternoon around 3:30pm. Every once in awhile the weatherman get their forecast right. I got to Marshall Hall at 10:15am. Coop1486 followed be down. Kevin Fry was there to meet everyone. Bill had forgotten his life vest, but was able to get his wife to bring his before all of us launched. It was good to get out and test out my yak. It has been since November that I had been on it. I could not wait to try out my new upgrade mirage. That is when I ran into problems. The new drive would not fit in my kayak....ugh. Fortunately, Rockchaser's drive would fit in my yak and my upgraded drive fits perfectly in his. So we traded Mirage drives for the day.

Fishing was slow for me. I was still rusty. I was not using the right size hooks. Mine were two small. I hooked up with three fish today. Two got off the small hooks. Bill gave me a much larger hook and that was the ticket. I landed a 20.5 inch catfish.

Lunch was surprisingly good at Accokeek Seafood. I had the seafood platter and it was a lot of food for the money and it was tasty.

Good Job Kevin.
    Attached Files

What year is your Hobie? That's the second time I heard the new drives don't fit the old hulls. Was it the alignment pins? My 2011 Outback and the new drive worked well. Backyard Boats told me you can cut off the alignment pins on the newer drives to fit. Everything else should be the same.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

My day started with an unusual catch.....nice goose decoy floating on the floodwaters!

Although Bill had been on the far side of the river doing recon without success, I wanted to try a little bit closer to the mouth of Dogue Creek. Sure enough, shortly after anchoring up I had a double hook up......sadly my only fish of the day.

I always enjoy hosting...I hope everyone had a good time fishing, eating and catching up! Especially great: to meet Yakcaptain for the first time, see Jambone outside of St Mary's County, and pay-up on my lost Super Bowl bet by buying lunch for Kitkatyakker.
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
        What year is your Hobie? That's the second time I heard the new drives don't fit the old hulls. Was it the alignment pins? My 2011 Outback and the new drive worked well. Backyard Boats told me you can cut off the alignment pins on the newer drives to fit. Everything else should be the same.
        My Revo is a 2011. The pins fit, but the new plastic part around the pins seem to grind up against the mechanism that holds the drive in. Also the mirage drive cannot go all the way down into the well to "click" into place. Three of us tried to get the drive down into the well with no luck. So my drive is crippled at the moment, so I will bring it to Backyard Boats as soon as the are back from the boat show. I know Dennis will take care of it. I am not worried. I am just glad that I took the yak out today as a shake down, to make sure that all my new modifications to my Revo and my SUV worked as I hope they would.

Comment

It was another great meet and greet for me. I learned of another new place to launch from. Kevin was a great host and made sure everyone was taken care of. I've been guilty of going to two meet and greets now without going to lunch afterwards. I need to fix that. I'll do better in the future. Looking forward to more meet and greets in the future!

Comment

It was a slow day fishing-wise for me, but it was a good time catching up with everyone. Plus, I'm pretty grateful to be married to someone who doesn't mind driving an hour out of her way to fix my stupid mistake.

I ended up with one small blue cat and a 25-incher. I caught both on nightcrawlers. I was lucky to land the bigger fish because I caught on a 1/0 circle hook that I normally use for perch and croaker.

I didn't get many action shots, but here are some pics of folks on the water.

Nathan hooked up:

Jimmy:

James:

Nathan and James:

Martin and Coop:

Martin:

Jimmy and Nathan were on a roll using chicken breast for bait. I might have to give that a try. I also poked around the piers on the Virginia side for perch or crappie but didn't have any luck.

Catching up with everyone over fried catfish was a good way to end the day.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I was "chicken" to get out in the cold rain...my birthday was the 9th and another year older makes a difference- getting old isn't for Sissies...I got out Sunday early- limited out with five Rainbow trout and was home by 11...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

We missed u Ron.....i have been thinking of trout all winter but had to work sunday

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah- I really wanted my fishing buddies with me Sunday- catching fish as fast as I did (I averaged a keeper every 20 minutes) didn't leave me feeling very satisfied- the wind got up and I decided not to fish for crappie in our favorite crappie hole where the logs and tree top runs out 50 feet from the bank- I caught seven and release the two smaller trout...the trout are nice and thick- easy to filet- only fished one rod and mostly cast where we normally catch them...I was prepared to crappie fish after getting the trout limit- had slip cork setup on one rod with 1/32 oz jig heads and small swim shad bodies...but the wind was blowing from the dam straight down the full length of the lake- no way you could find any where to get out of it and the drift was way too fast- you couldn't work the crappie baits right- they were there- you could see them balled up on the Lowrance, but I decided to quit while I was ahead-
                  Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-17-2015, 07:30 AM.
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I have my trout gear all ready to go......but, THE JOB

Comment

Hate I missed you guys this time around. I have been waiting for a m&g in my backyard. Hope to see y'all later in the season.
                      Hobie Outback
                      Stand Up Paddle Board
                      Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
                      X