Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6/4/2011 - PLO Report (New member of the Dark Side)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awesome job!

Comment

Mike- Awesome report! Looks like you converted another kayaker for sure! Watching him grab the rod there made my stomach hurt. That thing has to be composite like an ugly stick or something, it should have snapped several times...

Those big croaker are a blast! I'm jealous you had squid, my favorite croaker bait, I was kicking myself for not picking any up last time I was down there. I'll have to try the non bucktail gulp method, I have tons of leadheads and some have smaller hooks, so that would help. I was actually thinking about this a lot when I was out on the water at KN. How to present small baits at depth... I thought maybe a three way with a 6" leader to a heavy jighead or bucktail, then the other would be about 18" to a small gulp on a 1/4 jighead or something light. I tried my double dropshot (think bigger yellow perch rig) and didn't have any luck with it at KN, maybe next time.

Ictalurus- I was using a hi/lo with about a 15" leader on the bottom, 2/0 red circle hook, and a pink gulp. The top was about a 3 inch leader with a size 6 gold long shank hook with either fishbites, nightcrawlers, or a bull minnow. I tried the bullminnow on the bottom, but the gulp worked just as well so I stopped using them (they were the smallest I've ever seen so they were pretty worthless anyway). I had a 2 oz bank sinker on, cast it a little ways away from the boat and just let it bounce in the rod holder. You'd see a little tap (I think maybe sinker bouncing) and then the rod would double over. Pretty cool.

I'm kicking myself that I can't make it down there for the weekend. I bet you guys kill it. 23" flounder for someone, I'm calling it.
      Last edited by Redfish12; 06-06-2011, 02:44 PM.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

When filming do people just turn it on for the entire trip? I tried looking but I don't think there's any cheapie cams with remote start so that you can set it up behind you and then turn it on when you need it so that you can conserve battery power.

Comment

i was watching jim sammons kayak fishing show and they did a segment on filming, they used the hero mounted to a scotty visipole using the small handle bar mount right behind the seat so you can turn it on and off as needed, looks simple enough

Comment

I leave them off most of the time because they only film for around 1 hr in HD on a charge. I take two video cameras on the water with me. The Kodak Play sport mounted on an adjustable arm behind me and the Contour HD that i made a head strap for. If i get in fishy water i might turn one of them on in anticipation but that rarely works.

Both cameras are an easy reach for me to turn off and on. I just need to catch more fish to video.

Comment

PLO, Sat

Cool camera set-up, and you did a great report! It was also good meeting you out there. You're the first forum member I met so far.

When you guys showed me the stringer, that really got me motivated to get out there. You were right. The croakers were in the 30-foot areas. Jim and I later drifted out to about 50'. There were no takers, so we went back to 30' and the bites came back.

BTW, Jim is a member of TKAA at Norfolk. He's not a forum member here, but I emailed him the web site with a note to check out our reports. Maybe we'll get another member. I told him about the M&G at PLO this Saturday, so he might show up.

I do tons of hours on the water and get no sleigh ride. Your buddy, on his first outing, gets a sleigh ride and catches tons of fish on a great day. What gives?!? The fish gods have been good to him. That ought to get him to the dark side quick. Heck, if I had a day like that, I would be at the kayak store the next day.

Remember, only about $200, and you can power that Trident. I have the Trident 13. Your yak looked like 15', but it should have basically the same layout. I did not have to drill any holes to retrofit the $100 Endura 30 motor with a $60 Costco marine battery.
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I thought that Jim was a forum member here named Jimbo. I saw that he joined the site which is great. Thinking about it now i think Jimbo has a red or blue revo.

Yeah my buddy had a great first trip. I have been looking for that same ride for over 2 years now with no luck.

Your motor setup did get my wheels turning but I have plans for other goodies first (Live-well, New Fish finder). I will definitely talk to you more about your setup when that time comes.

Comment

I saw Jim's recent post. He joined as Rockchaser.
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                  X