No announcement yet.

10 miles and 9" croaker @ Buzz's, 6/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha, that's funny. Guess I'm preaching to the choir. I got my master's degree at VIMS and spent a lot of time fishing from the research pier and the public beach pier there. There were still big flounder under the lights when I was there. I had several doormats follow my jig up to the surface without hitting under the lights at the public pier, but I could never land them. Whenever that happened, several others of the regulars would crowd around and we'd all try to get it to hit again. It worked a couple times. I also caught 20" speck there one night and thought I was going to get thrown in after I let it go. I already had dinner that night, but I guess the other guys didn't. I used to fish the Yorktown side late at night in October and November when big schools of weakfish would form under the lights. They were all kind of small, but there would be decent stripers below them if you could get your lure through them. That area spoiled me for a wide variety of fresh seafood, and I sure miss it sometimes.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Yep- but fishing is fishing- I started school while we were living in Corpus Christi, Texas down by the north gate of the Naval Air Station on the Bay- fishing was some kind of good there, too- then I spent 4 years (1999-2002) working in New Orleans- after a while I grew tired of the night life and I went fishing just about every evening on the seawall of Lake Pontchartrain catching reds and speckle trout with a spinning rod with an artificial coca hoe minnow- that was pretty special fishing, too- schools of shrimp would be under the lights and the trout would bust them up- flip the lure into the school, jig it a time or two and hang on for dear life- catching 3-5 pound specks- and underneath them were 6-12 pound reds- get one on 10 pound test spinning tackle standing on the sea wall was a lot of fun- the chefs in the kitchen of the Landmark hotel in Meterie loved me when I would bring them some big fresh speckled trout every evening- I had a room there for four years on a monthly basis- never checked out- kept my clothes in the closet and flew home every fourteen days carrying nothing- had another set of clothes up here- the west coast of Florida has some of my favorite fishing down by Naples, too- big snook, amberjack, jack cravelle, tarpon, reds, permit, snapper, grouper and the specks- don't much matter where I am fishing, Bill- just getting out and wetting a line is fun for me-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
      X