The Rips at CCNP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rips at CCNP

Anyone interested in fishing the rips at CCNP. Also, is there a close place to launch a yak ? Would love to try it ! Walleye Pete has been fishing it every day with excellent catches.

Before you go, make sure the plant is generating power and producing a warm water discharge. There was a significant accident a few days ago that shut the plant down for a while. I don't know if it is running again. I believe Walleye Pete fished elsewhere today.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      Before you go, make sure the plant is generating power and producing a warm water discharge. There was a significant accident a few days ago that shut the plant down for a while. I don't know if it is running again. I believe Walleye Pete fished elsewhere today.
      It appears that Walleye Pete has resumed his trips to the rips. As far as I know, there is not a public launch anywhere near the power plant.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Do a quick search, the lack of a launch site to fish the rips has been discussed before. Look at Flag Ponds Park as a possible launch point. Basically, all of the launch points that are accessible to the public have two issues: 1. they have very restricted hours. during this time of the year they are only open on the weekends and when they are open, its from 9am to 5pm. 2. its a long drag to the water. more than a mile. partially uphill.

Jeff Little wrote an article recently about making that trip. It was within the last two months or so.

Its doable, but it takes lots of effort. (Keep in mind the current flowing thru that area is significant....and from what i've read, its been a zoo there lately.)
        Jason

Comment

Give Walleye Pete a call and ask him to taxi you to the rips.
          2014 Hobie Pro Angler
          2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

Fish from a boat, it's much easier...
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I fished with walleye Pete 2 weeks ago at cc and had a great day.

Comment

Ryan and I fished it a week or two ago. We got a charter to take us. It's kind of a zoo there to be honest. It's also a lot like catching fish in a barrel....everyone just piles at the discharge which comes out at an unbelievable rate and the next guy comes in to take the next drift. It's fun, but kinda crazy at the same time :-) It is unlike any rockfishing I've ever done, but there are big fish piled right there. I would recommend going into the rip on your kayak :-) Stay on the edge and hope a fish doesn't pull you into it because I'm not sure what would happen.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

Working...
                X