Susky 4/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susky 4/12

With turbidity in the low 20's I decided to give the flats a shot yesterday anyway. I planned on fishing the last 2 hours of the outgoing tide. This was only my second time out in the Hobie and I thought my FF was glitchy showing 5mph with little effort as I headed south. I found out the hard way that the dam was running 5-7 gates, so it wasn't just the outgoing tide I that I was riding. Boy was that current miserable to pedal back against as I struggled to maintain 2.5mph.

With all of the gates open, the turbidity was around 36 by the time I got back to the ramp. By the end of the day it was in the 60's! Between the turbidity and the debris, I definitely chose the wrong place to fish.

I didn't exactly skunk though. "Caught" my 1st fish on the Hobie! IMG_20150412_100057.jpg

No one I saw or talked to seemed to have any better luck than I did.

Two guys launched in yellow PA's as I was getting ready and I'm guessing they went east. If that was anyone here, were the conditions any better away from the flow from the dam?
    Mike

Interesting catch there. Hungry guy!

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

Mike,
      I was there yesterday as well. I went after church in the afternoon, say 1PM. Taking a look at the water I didn't even put the yak in. Friday was similar, although I did give it a shot to no avail. Turbidity was in the 20s which equated to a couple of inches visibility at best. When turbidity is above 10, you are in for a struggle. This is similar to last year. It's very hard to catch fish on lures with water conditions like that. The susky is extremely unpredictable and you gotta put your time in and pay your dues unfortunately. It's not like going to calvert cliffs to catch big fish out of a bucket.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Where do you find turbidity readings?
        Native Slayer 12
        Native Ultimate