Sunny Blue cats at Bushwood.....Bill out fishes me again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunny Blue cats at Bushwood.....Bill out fishes me again

Had a great day but fishing was slow...Bushwood is a big space and cats can be anywhere...today they wanted shell bottoms and everything else was a bust...except for the weather which was awesome

Here is Ictalarus Bill....hooking up with fresh menhadden...the only bait that caught fish today

Bill caught a White catfish and dink blue and then....a nice one...Sadly shortly after this pic the bugger spined him good and Bill's hand went numb for the rest of the trip....even with a numb hand he still outfished me....a disturbing pattern. He has outfished me every trip this spring.

I eventually got in the act, but only after Bill loaned me some fresh menhadden. At 30 inches....he was a beast!!

It was a good day, could have been better, bit so so much better than nothing!!
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

I dissected over 2000 catfish for my master's thesis, measured thousands more, and I never got stuck like that before. I didn't have full use of my hand until after dinner. It figures that would happen on the one day I forget my gloves.

I also forgot my camera, so I thought we'd have a banner day with no way to document it. Oh well. I ended up with two blue cats close to 30", one around 24", one around 16", and a 17" white cat. I also tried nightcrawlers and frozen shrimp since croakers were rumored to be around, but I didn't even have a nibble on either bait. Having current was also key. We fished most of the incoming tide with not much to show at early or late flood. The water temperature was 58-60*. The water was a bit salty, and there was a fair number of jellyfish around. We might've had more luck fishing farther upstream.

My secret to outfishing Kevin is to let him pick the spot, then cast behind his boat. It works for catfish and for stocked trout.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Kevin you need to get a hat like Bill that's the ticket.;-) Going to fish at the ramp maybe Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
        Kevin you need to get a hat like Bill that's the ticket.;-) Going to fish at the ramp maybe Monday.
        We did start seeing some marks closer to the ramp than I normally fish....so that could be the ticket. Unbelieveabke how may jellyfish were there...the rusty colored ones. I assume that is an indicator of salinity. If you don't do well run up to Chaptico, should be less salty there

As for the hat.....not evryone can look as good in a brimmed hat as Bill. a guess I got out-fished and out-dressed. ......surpising since I am generally such a fashion forward fellow....

Comment

Any rumors of croakers yet? Bushwood seems to be the first hook n line catches every year, and usually by now.

Comment

rumors but no sign of em

Comment

Working...
            X