Cold day on the Mattawoman, 4/25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold day on the Mattawoman, 4/25

Kevin and I were on the hunt for crappie, but it turned out we couldn't hit our first choice. We decided to try our luck on the Mattawoman and also see if any shad were about. We hit the water at about 11:45. The tide was high and still coming in, and there was a bit of a breeze with it. Even though I wore my waders and my rain coat, I wished I had dressed warmer. The water temperature was only 53*.

We started off poking around the downed trees by the ramp. No crappie for either of us, but I caught a 9" yellow perch on a 2" white Storm shad:

I didn't get to fish for yellow perch this year, so that little guy made my day.

After that, we headed up to the barge. No crappie there, either, but I got another 9" yellow perch on a firetiger Berkley minnow grub. Kevin hooked up with a nice shad right by the barge, which surprised me, but it jumped off before he could land it. At least we had proof that shad were in.

We trolled some shad lures up toward the metal wall. Kevin had a couple knockdowns, and I hooked into a really nice hickory. It looked to be between 16 and 18 inches, but I fumbled it trying to swing it into the boat. It hit a 1/4oz chartreuse shad dart. Kevin started casting, hooked up, but lost another one before getting it back to the boat. I didn't have any luck casting, so I trolled the same area again and landed this guy:

Much smaller, but made me happy nonetheless. My spring fish checklist was complete.

We worked our way farther upstream to where we caught the shad last year, and Kevin ended up catching a channel cat on a flatfish and a hickory on a spinner:

The cold started getting to us around 4, so we started working our way back. I hooked up with three shad in a row and lost them all. Missed a bunch of hits, too. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong because I usually don't lose so many shad. The hooks were sharp and not bent.

Kevin rounded the day out with a feisty bass on his ultralight:

No more fish for me, but I serendipitously took a cool picture when I started putting my camera away with the timer still going:

I like the lighting. I call it "Blood 'n' Guts Still Life".

So no crappie for us, but I was happy to catch the shad and perch. Between the weather and my schedule, I haven't been able to do as much spring fishing as I would like this year.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Nice work guys. Glad to hear you are getting out.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Cold rainy windy slow fishing........but I am still pumped that I caught my first shad! I also loved getting that little fatty bass on the ultra light.

The catfish was a small channel cat who made awesome fish tacos when I got home. But the interesting thing was his hitting that flatfish. That lure in this size and the next size up...with that "crackle frog" pattern,... has been one of my most effective lures since childhood...such a funny little lure, such an odd color. And I have caught so many different species!! I have now landed all the following on this lure:
      Channel catfish
      Crappie
      Yellow perch
      Rainbow trout
      Cutthrout trout (coastal and yellowstone)
      Brook trout
      asst Sunfish including bluegill and pumpkinseed
      Smallmouth bass
      Large mouth bass
      Steelhead
      Chinook salmon (jacks)
      Coho Salmon
      Kokanee salmon
      white perch
      squawfish

I'm going to try and add 2-3 more species to this list this year.
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Y'know, I think I have the same lure.
        Nice looking bass.
        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Nice going guys! Thanks for the report
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Great report. Last time i went out for shad fishing, I lost the first three shads. Upon inspection, I found the shad dart barb had broken off/worn off. Didn't have any more problems after replacing the lure.
            Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
            2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Nice outing and report! I was on the other side of the river in pohick bay and it never did get warm or have the sun come out. Good job on changing it up and catching some fish!
              WS ATAK

Comment

It's always great to see Bill's red hat fishing report photos. Nice job guys!

Comment

Working...
                X