Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Introduction

Hey y'all,

I just picked up a fishing kayak and have a little beach cottage to launch from close to Breezy Point Marina. It's a used sit on top FS12T. I'm pumped to get out there for my maiden voyage but am not sure what the hell to do! Do I troll for striper this time of year? Lures? Bottom fish? I hear it's only 5-10 feet deep around where I would launch and that the deep water is many miles out. Any tips would be appreciated. I think I'll be going out on Sunday. Hopefully I can hook up with some of you this summer to land some lunkers and drink some homebrew (that's my other hobby).

Mike

Welcome to Snaggedline! I'm not familar with your area but lots of guys here have been catching stripers trolling in 5-10'.

I had the FS12T for a little while before upgrading to a used Hobie. I do miss the tons of deck space that yak had.
    Mike

Comment

Welcome aboard Mike.

I've fished Breezy Point a couple times. The deeper water is closer than you think.
      Here's a chart of the area. I added a thin red circle to depict a 1 mile radius.
      Also note sharp drop off near the green can buoy "1". That would be a good area to troll, drift and jig, or drown some bloodworms... stripers love the smell of bloodworms.

BreezyPoint.jpg
      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Hi Mike. Welcome to snaggedline! I learned how to fish from the great group of guys on this site. Your best bet would be to go the the monthly meet-and-greet. There is a schedule on this site somewhere. It's always a good time to troll from your yak. Many people use soft plastics to troll, like paddle tails or other types.
        Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
        Cobra Explorer

Comment

Thanks everyone. Thanks Buzz for the topo map. I got delayed and still haven't hit the water with my yak. Hopefully later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X