Need some advice for a couple of novices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice for a couple of novices

So my buddy has started getting back into fishing lately, which is awesome. And he also bought a yak last year, and has taken to fishing out of it. He's looking to get out on the 16th for his birthday, and is dead set on catching some stripers. His boat is a sit-in and I don't know how much big water experience he has. He mentioned SPSP, but I'm wondering if that's a good idea, or even a safe one. I don't know what tides will be like, or wind obviously. But if it's nice, the boat traffic could be bad on a nice Saturday in mid May, right?

So I guess I'm looking for some pointers. Is sandy point a good bet for stripers, and if so, is it advisable to head out there? I'm also kind of a newb when it comes to bigger water, and I've got a barge of a sit-on-top paddle yak. So I'm not sure how much of a safety net I'll be. I wouldn't be opposed to trying elsewhere either. I've heard Beverly Triton is producing lately. Would that be a safer bet for our scenario?

Any advice is much appreciated. And any who would like to join are certainly welcome to join.
    - Derek
    Kayaking newbie

[insert comment that makes you think I'm unique and witty]

I'll go ahead and say it...sit in's are not great for the open waters of the bay and certainly not by the bay bridge. The currents going through those pilings can be intense. If you're novices don't get yourself in trouble and taking on more than you can handle. Try some of the more sheltered rivers as there have been good posts here lately about those locations.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to push for Triton, for that matter exactly. But thought it wise to ping some more knowledgeable individuals. Is Triton a risky venue too? I'm a bit more comfortable in the bigger water, but ultimately want to keep both of us safe.

OT: but I'm pretty sure I saw you in a grocery store near my home, and thought about saying Hi before deciding I'd come across as a weirdo. Either way, love your approach to the sport man.
      - Derek
      Kayaking newbie

[insert comment that makes you think I'm unique and witty]

Comment

I recently posted a report on Fletchers. You could fish out of a sit in there as long as you stay out of the current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Zack
        Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
        Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
        "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

I would go out on the Rhode River (Carrs Wharf) and then you can head out to Triton and check it out. If its too rough or your not comfortable, you can head back to sheltered waters and not worry about losing the day or much fishing time. You can see how close Rhode River and Beverly Triton are on a map.

Comment

Working...
          X