Trophies in the off-seasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trophies in the off-seasons

As I think about the aftermath of the spring season, I'm wondering if anyone has insights on what percentage of the larger rockfish tend to stick around and tactics for targeting larger fish in the summer through fall. Or is it pretty much schoolies for a while after May? Thanks for any tips.
    Michael
    Washington, DC
    2015 Outback

I can't place an exact percentage, but there are always some large fish, say 32" and above that decide not to migrate after spawning. Maybe not many +40 inch fish, but, hey, a "surprise fish" is always a possibility.
    You'll catch them on the same lures and using the same techniques that you will catch the "schoolie" fish on. Large ratt'l traps, crank baits, surface lures, buck tails and BKDs on a jig head will work just fine.
    Chumming and live lining are also very productive.

Check out Shawn Kimbro's fishing site "Chesapeake Light Tackle" for a lot more information that I can provide here.
    Last edited by bignose; 05-10-2015, 02:43 PM.

Comment

I personally do not get too many. 30+ inch fish can be caught winter through the end of spring regularly but after that it's mostly schoolies. A good fish will be in the mid 20's.
      There are certainly some 30 inchers around but they will no longer be the norm. I tend to fish for other things in the summer, crabbing in particular. Perch and largemouth.
      I'm not a big fan of the warmer months. I like the cold water way better!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Working...
      X