Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time on Severn, 40 min fight, thanks to you guys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time on Severn, 40 min fight, thanks to you guys!

I've been fishing on the Potomac for quite a while (mostly shad, catfish). Looking for more of a challenge, I found this forum and reading up on all the posts about the best Striper spots, decided to hit up the Severn for a little late afternoon hunting.

I Launched around 4p to get a feel for the water and slowly started a trolling track from bridge to bridge (on both shore lines). I had very low expectations having never fished this spot and wasn't surprised after getting 0 hits on a mix of lures over 4 hours. I truged back towards the beach against wind and waves ever so slowly and painfully, counting off strokes to keep progress going.

Right after sunset, I was nearing the beach and noticed the bridge lights come on and decided to hang out for a couple minutes longer. Lo and behold, not 10 minutes in, my rod makes a frantic U shape, straight down below. I curse, thinking my lure had caught on something and that I might have to cut a couple bucks loose. Suddenly the rod changes direction and I notice this is absolutely not a snagged line. Starting to panic, I get into fighting position and for the next 40 MINUTES I am making inch by inch progress on some unknown beast of a fish at least 30 feet below. The line is so tight at times, the wind sings against it and drop of water make it plink with something tighter than a guitar string. I was thanking The big man upstairs I had the foresight to upgrade the leader to 100 lb and line to 55 lb. I've been in Striper fights before, my personal best was a 37 lb but this was noooothing like that. With adrenaline pumping and a mix of emotions between giddiness, panic and horror, we went on and as I brought the beast closer, I could see massive shadows move while the action became more varied side to side. in what I was sure were final breathtaking minutes, the line, under that intense state, rubbed on something alongside the kayak and snapped with a loud TING.

Disappointed I didn't get a chance to meet the beast (or even know what kind of fish it was), I was thrilled that this first outing Ended with such an amazing experience. Thank you guys for sharing tips and info to help this guy meet the beast. (And if anyone has any clue what kind of fish that might have been, please speak up!) :-)
    Last edited by Dimo; 05-11-2015, 12:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
    -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Wow, if I am this bummed after just reading about how that fight ended, I cant imagine how you felt experiencing it. That is some heavy line to break! Did it break at the leader or the main line?
    Mike

Comment

Too early for cow nosed rays, right?

Bull shark?
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

AHHHHH NOOOOO!!!! Unless you were using a micro rod there's no way it could be a striper. Even the biggest ones only take a few minutes to get in. Perhaps it was a ray???
        I just watched a video of one of you guys on youtube fighting one for that long and it was a ray by the bay bridge.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

Raptor is the CNR expert. He gets to know each of his ray catches on a first-name basis before they break off with his lure.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            Raptor is the CNR expert. He gets to know each of his ray catches on a first-name basis before they break off with his lure.

Yup - I've caught my share of CNRs. I have actually boated/beached two. They can easily fight for an hour plus and drag a kayak for two miles at speeds up to 2 MPH. They are, however, very distinctive in their resistance/fight and when you have one on you soon know it - they do not "thump" and they do not tire, they get stronger. I've learned that the best thing to do is just cut your line, but, if you are in the mood to "play" try to get to shore. They are much easier to beach retrieve your lure and let them go. They are some serious pullage. Most of the time though you lose about an hour of productive fishing. I use #15 braid so finesse is the name of the game. After about forty minutes you get the urge to be impatient and try to horse them - bad move - you have to be very patient and convince them to come your way s-l-o-w-l-y. Oh, and did I mention that when they a get up beside the kayak they splash you so you get soaking were to boot. They are very interesting creatures that are a bit of a pain to the light tackle fisherman, but to kill them for sport just rubs me the wrong way. BTW - they love Rattle-L-Traps or lures that make sounds and/or vibrate and they especially like lures that cost more than $10.00.

T.
            Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
              That is some heavy line to break! Did it break at the leader or the main line?
              Broke at the main line, but can't say I was entirely surprised. The line was under so much tension, it was as if I was playing the highest note off my guitar. Now wondering if I should change the line out after seeing that much stress.

The rod is a medium action but the reel, I forgot I mention, didn't hold up and bent at where the crank meets the body.

The fight definitely sounds like a cnr as you describe, I felt as if this thing just got stronger as time went on. The only difference was as the fish came close to the surface, the side to side action got more intense. My lure was close to $10, rattly and shiny.
              -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Originally posted by Dimo View Post
                Broke at the main line, but can't say I was entirely surprised. The line was under so much tension, it was as if I was playing the highest note off my guitar. Now wondering if I should change the line out after seeing that much stress.

The rod is a medium action but the reel, I forgot I mention, didn't hold up and bent at where the crank meets the body.

The fight definitely sounds like a cnr as you describe, I felt as if this thing just got stronger as time went on. The only difference was as the fish came close to the surface, the side to side action got more intense. My lure was close to $10, rattly and shiny.
                Just a suggestion - you might consider lightening your drag a bit. Line should never be that tight unless you are fishing Tuna on heavy gear.

T.
                Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                  After about forty minutes you get the urge to be impatient and try to horse them - bad move - you have to be very patient and convince them to come your way s-l-o-w-l-y.
                  T.
                  I can attest to exactly that...I got impatient and ended up with a broken rod after I was tired of one dragging me in circles for about that length of time...but only after I got to climb over my tankwell and untangle the line from the rudder while it drug me backward toward the bay bridge pilings too.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

I was about to ask what a CNR was, but then I re-read and saw it was cow nosed ray. That was what I caught on the pier in solomons one time and suffered which a crick in my neck for a few weeks afterwards and I was using a beefy 10 foot surf rod. I brought him all the way into the pier before cutting the line. What a fighter he was! I cannot even imagine catching one of those in a kayak on light tackle.

Comment

When I hook a cow nosed ray and I'm sure it is not a large game fish, I point my rod at the fish, palm the spool, and let the line break. Usually it breaks at the lure (loop knot) or at the line/leader connection. I am willing to give up a lure to avoid a lengthy distraction from fishing for my target species. That way I don't lose a lot of line and can get back to fishing quickly.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

well im glad someone caught SOMETHING on the severn yesterday.
                        I fished 3.5 hrs there yesterday morning and was skunked. Talked with a few other kayakers and boaters alike and no one was catching anything. I was off the river by 1030.
                        2014 Tarpon 120

Comment

To be honest, catching a cnr sounds fun. I've never caught one and after an hour I may change my mind, ahaha.
                          Wegmans was selling the wings. They tasted good. I'd throw one in cooler for sure.
                          Do they have stingers? Can they hurt you?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                          Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                            To be honest, catching a cnr sounds fun. I've never caught one and after an hour I may change my mind, ahaha.
                            Wegmans was selling the wings. They tasted good. I'd throw one in cooler for sure.
                            Alan -

Rays and skates have been part of French cuisine for a long time -- I tried a skate in a Parisian restaurant once. Unfortunately, not all species are tasty. From what I have heard, most people who try cow nosed ray are pretty disappointed with the flavor. If you do try it, let us know how it turns out. My guess is that the Wegman's offering was a different variety of skate or ray.

From Wikipedia: "A cownose ray has a stinger, called a spine, on its tail, close to the ray's body. This spine has teeth lining its lateral edges, and is coated with a weak venom that causes symptoms similar to that of a bee sting." If you tried to get one in your kayak you would need to deal with strong muscular wings flapping around, crushing jaws, and lots of splashing, in addition to the spine. For me, it is not worth it. I would rather sacrifice a lure or snelled hook on a bottom rig rather than risk potential injury.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                              In June of 1608 Captain John Smith speared a CNR in the Chesapeake. During the fight ray stung him in his arm with its tail. Smith's arm swelled up and he got so ill that his compatriots dug his grave in anticipation of the worst. However, he recovered in a day or so and rumor has it that he dined on the ray.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                              X