OC 5/24 and Janes Island 5/25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC 5/24 and Janes Island 5/25

Hit OC and fished around the 50 bridge for tog and flounder sunday from about 1100 (end of incoming) till the wind blew me off at 1700. Water temp was around 63 in the main channel and I saw as high as 67 in the west channel. Quite a bit of boat traffic but no where near as bad as I expected. Landed 2 short flounder in the west channel and 3 short tog around the bridge. Also got bit off during a mini bluefish blitz in the main channel as the tide started outgoing, looked to be a low 20 inch fish.

Monday I launched at Janes Isaland around 0600 and headed north to fish a hole and some shoreline and grass flats. Water temps on the flats were in the low 70's. I was hoping to stumble across a spec or 2 but all I landed was rock from 10-22 inches, landed a dozen or so all told with most in the 16 inch range. The morning was tough with 8-10 commercial clammers out muddying the waters but once they left and the tide went out the water went crystal clear and the bite improved. Lots of crabs around and I saw a few schools of CNR's that kindly avoided my hooks. Also fished some of the channels through the island and picked up a few rockfish in the deeper holes during low tide. Off the water around 1700 and got to enjoy the BB traffic on a holiday weekend (it took 1.5 hours to get from the outlets to sandy point...)

Chimo

Where do you launch from to fish the 50 bridge?

Comment

Perfect timing. Camping at Jane's Island this weekend. Thanks for your report!
      Daniel Kwon
      2019 Hobie Outback Slate Blue
      2002 Triumph 190 Bay Suzuki DF115

Comment

Thanks for the report Chimo - I am contemplating making a run down there this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by mike o View Post
          Where do you launch from to fish the 50 bridge?
          Theres a ramp at the intersection of Golf Course Rd and Sunset Ave that I normally use. Simple paddle as long as the incoming isn't ripping.

Comment

Nice Chimo! Missed you by a day.

I was out in the inlet Saturday. Got two short stripers casting shads at Martha's Landing and then tried the ocean side of the south jetty without any luck. Saw a few nice keeper flounder caught out there though, but I didn't try for them. Came back into the inlet to tog and got 2 keepers out of a dozen off the south jetty. They only bit when the tide really got moving though. No love for sand fleas either - all the tog were caught on crabs I got out of the jetty.

Thanks for the Jane's Island info too. Spec hunting is on my radar here in the next couple weeks.
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
              Nice Chimo! Missed you by a day.

I was out in the inlet Saturday. Got two short stripers casting shads at Martha's Landing and then tried the ocean side of the south jetty without any luck. Saw a few nice keeper flounder caught out there though, but I didn't try for them. Came back into the inlet to tog and got 2 keepers out of a dozen off the south jetty. They only bit when the tide really got moving though. No love for sand fleas either - all the tog were caught on crabs I got out of the jetty.

Thanks for the Jane's Island info too. Spec hunting is on my radar here in the next couple weeks.
              Talked to a buddy of yours at the ramp who was getting ready to launch in an Ocean Kayak the same time as me, blanking on the name. He mentioned you had caught a couple keepers. My tog bites were all on small crabs I pulled out of the rocks as well.

Comment

how were the seas around janes island? i thought about heading that way on monday as well, but saw it was suppose to be windy from the south and 3 footers. wind and remembering about the holiday traffic, i decided to stay home, lol. calling ror 2-3' this weekend too
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jet View Post
                  how were the seas around janes island? i thought about heading that way on monday as well, but saw it was suppose to be windy from the south and 3 footers. wind and remembering about the holiday traffic, i decided to stay home, lol. calling ror 2-3' this weekend too
                  It was a little sloppy north of the island where I wanted to fish but there is enough protected water around that you can easily duck in and fish a lee shore regardless of which way the wind is blowing. Traffic was light down there as well minus the commercial fishermen.

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
                    Talked to a buddy of yours at the ramp who was getting ready to launch in an Ocean Kayak the same time as me, blanking on the name. He mentioned you had caught a couple keepers. My tog bites were all on small crabs I pulled out of the rocks as well.
                    I know Eric (somdevil) told me he planned to try Sunday. I'm surprised they weren't into sandfleas. Most of the ones I dug had roe coming out of them. They usually don't pass up on the roe fleas. The Coastal Fisherman reported a sheepshead caught out there last weekend too on peeler
                    Brian

Comment

Chimo,
                      It was windy on 25th in general in North East. I stayed on the Western Shore, MD. My legs still hurt. I can't believe you crossed Bay Bridge on the end of the Memorial day weekend which I learned the lesson few times, and I wouldn't do it again.

Joe
                      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 05-27-2015, 03:12 PM.
                      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                        Chimo,
                        I can't believe you crossed Bay Bridge on the end of the Memorial day weekend which I learned the lesson few times.

Joe
                        The bridge traffic was bad. It's amazing the things I will do to catch a few lousy little fish just to throw them back... Lol

Comment

Thanks for the great report. I really hope the specks pick up around there this year. Wasn't very good last year.

I can't wait to get back to Janes Island. Nice place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X