No announcement yet.

Father's Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since Ron bought all the Koppers frogs, I went to Wal Mart to get these. I think I'm ready now.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

You got twice as many frog as I have- and watching the video- the frog is worked pretty hard with a downward hard twitch sits and then another hard downward twitch...and I have several top water baits and medium size XRaps- the chartruese/white with gold blade Cavitron buzzbait is supposed to be "the" other "go to" Snakehead bait.
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

My only weedless lures are the frogs and a couple jigs. Do you think jigs are good for SHs?

Never saw a cavitron until now. Maybe I'll pick one up.

Comment

Sounds like a plan- are you going Sunday? Jigs with plastics should work. The old slugo rigged with no weight tossed around vegetation should be a deadly lure- same for plastic worms
          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-17-2011, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Am planning to be on the water by 1100 hrs Sunday. Can't stay too long. Hope the snakeheads are biting.

Comment

For anyone coming- you will be driving down highway 210 (Indian Head Highway) when you think you have gone too far, keep driving- the road (Mattingly) is on the left just before you actually enter the Naval Base at the very end of the highway-

I plan on getting there at 10:30-11 am- hope to see some of the folks I met at the PLO meet and greet- a snakehead hunt on Father's Day sounds like fun- I haven't heard any recent reports about fishing the creek, but bass fishing with standard bass tackle, lures, and baits should produce fish.

Comment

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it. My son has made a surprise visit! We're going out on one of the boats from Occoquan today. Tomorrow we might mess with the kayaks closer to home but then we're going to grab a late lunch in DC then catch Black County Communion at the 930 club. If you like rock music check them out!

Good luck to you guys hitting the Mattawoman Creek! Good fishing up in there for sure!

Comment

Woke up to light rain this a.m.

Looks likely we will have rain sometime today- the dark overcast may change my strategy somewhat- changes the colors I was thinking about- I may downsize the lures, too.

Looks likely the boat traffic will be down a lot with the weather forecast so that is a plus-

Comment

Did you end up making it out there? I was going to try Leesylvania again but overslept. This morning looks good though. If it wasn't for the lighting I'd be out there. Hopefully you get into a couple!
                    www.anglerswithoutborders.com
                    Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Tufnik and I did-

This guy caught one right next to me- I had four hooked up but didn't land one-
                      I caught a bunch of other fish, including this nice 20 inch big mouth bass
                      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-20-2011, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Slavins Launch - Mattawoman Creek

Met up with ronaultmtd about 10 am. We hit the water about 1030 this morning. Water was very calm. Sky was cloudy, and only a few sprinkles during the afternoon. Very good afternoon for yak fishing. Didn't see other yakers. Couple fishing boats. People fishing off the pier.

After six hours on the water, I did not catch my target snakehead I did catch a yellow perch on a crankbait. I also tried spinnerbait and a frog. I got a few hits on the frog, but no connects. Nothing on the spinnerbait. (My bought-from-Wal-Mart frog didn't do as well as Ron's kopper frog.)

Pics
                        - Yellow perch
                        - Frog resting on the pad
                        - Ron's bass, about 5# (next post)
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by tufnik; 06-19-2011, 09:58 PM.

Comment

More pics.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Tufnik- I enjoyed our trip and fishing with you- we learned a lot yesterday- the intel trip was a necessity- Mattawaoman Creek is an excellent yak spot- the perfect place to take someone new to kayaking where you can catch fish- big fish- The Kopper's frog was the ticket- worth the high dollar price- and we figured out the snakeheads, too- the Kayak launcher at the park is the BOMB! The roller setup is unreal- that was the nicest kayak launch I have ever seen- I might rent a Hobie revolution from them next time just to see what all the guys see in peddling vs. paddling- But the thick vegetation might be a problem for some of the peddlers and Torques- I pushed through some thick lilly pad places almost like an air boat.

The 4 # test ultra light spinning outfit was a blast on bass and bluegills- like landing Moby Dick- the grass and vegetation made using crankbaits hard to use as the hooks kept getting fouled- we spent 6 hours on the water and it was a great day- thank you for sharing it with me-
                            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-20-2011, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Nice work, guys! Glad you had success. And snakehead sightings! Bodes well for the July M&G. Wish I coulda been there but unexpected family visiting had to come first and changed my plans. So, how far up stream did you get?

Comment

Yeah, it was certainly fun fishing with a yak buddy. Catchin' the bass and getting a snakehead hit.......I say, u da man!

Hey, that snakehead is still on my mind. I think I want to go again this weekend. You game? I think I'm free, will have to check.

BTW, what did that guy use to catch that huge snakehead, and did he catch it along the edge or in the paddies?

jjoley, we didn't go far upstream, less than a mile. I went up a bit farther than ronaultmd. Up to this white mound (maybe10-15 high) on the west side of the river.
                                Last edited by tufnik; 06-20-2011, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X