Cuckold Creek/Clarks Landing 6/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuckold Creek/Clarks Landing 6/1

I joined up with OV Boy (Walt) this morning for the first foray into the Patuxent River since it opened today. We left Clarks Landing at 6 and headed towards some sandbars that had produced well last year. I could not help but notice that there were 3 pound nets put in that weren't there last year. Not much happening at the sandbars, I picked up 2 croaker and a white perch but no rocks. This should turn on soon as the bait fish were everywhere around the bars with alewives fluttering on the surface constantly. We left the sandbars and went to the back of Mill Creek but nothing happening there either. So we headed up Cuckold and found a school of small rockfish off the end of a deep water pier. We picked up 3 or 4 each in about a 30 minute span. The only downer was spotting a large group of CNR in that spot as well. All in all a very enjoyable morning on the water.

In the second picture you can see the Solomon's Island bridge as a point of reference where we were

002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Looks like a really nice area there. The water looks calm. What did you guys catch the fish on?

OV Boy-It was nice to meet you over the weekend at Pt. Lookout. I went around the point and didn't see you later on. How did you make out?

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

We were using 3" white gulp on 1/4 and 3/8 lead heads. We tried crank baits but there was enough floating grass to make them annoying.
      Mike

Comment

Thanks for the great report. Where exactly did you launch from? When I see a PA-14 launch, I like to know where. Those DAS-BOOTS(PA-14's) Need easy launch points. I will head out there Wednesday Morning early (8am) with your bait recommendations and some blood worms.
        Yak67
        2015 Hobie Pro Angler-14

Comment

The launch is called Clarks Landing, it is literally the end of Clarks Landing Road in beautiful Hollywood. It has a crude ramp and parking for 6 or 7 cars. On Wednesday you will have no problem. I like to fish Cuckold when there is a strong wind out of the south as it offers good protection. We are blessed in St Mary's with a large number of free ramps on the Potomac and Patuxent so it's always possible to find a leeward side to fish. Today the wind was strong at times but you can see how flat it stayed. You might check the weather for Wednesday, looked like a rainy day.
          Mike

Comment

This Saturday they are having bath tub races out of Clarks Landing. You would be wise to stay away unless the thought of dodging a bath tub with a 25 HP motor appeals to you.
            Mike

Comment

Mike, Thanks for hosting a great fishing time! We really caught some whoopers in the end!! LOL... I did a lot of paddling and my arms are really sore!! No gym time for that day.....We really covered the area pretty good and NOW I know where to go! Guess I'm very lucky I can fish where I live and just go anytime. Look forward to another outing with you and catch more fish! Thanks for the fun and the pictures!

Anyone fishing out this way, look me up.....just not this weekend due to the bathtub races!
              Walt
              Heritage Angler 12'

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
                Looks like a really nice area there. The water looks calm. What did you guys catch the fish on?

OV Boy-It was nice to meet you over the weekend at Pt. Lookout. I went around the point and didn't see you later on. How did you make out?
                Goody,
                Sorry I could tell y'all good bye.... saw you headed towards the sandbar and I couldn't keep up! Between the wind and waves it just wasn't a good day for me to paddle around. Tried the protected areas and didn't catch anything so I called it the day. It was great meeting all of you and look forward to doing some more fishing with ya but on calmer waters....
                Walt
                Heritage Angler 12'

Comment

Working...
                X