Waterproof Tackle Box/Bag Feedback needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterproof Tackle Box/Bag Feedback needed

Second year in the yak and loving every minute of it. My main tackel box is the standard Plano slanted tray that stays in the truck while I am in the yak. I have a smaller bag with smaller trays that I outfit for the yak and species I am after each trip. I knew the trays in the bag were not waterproof but the bag was supposed to be. I have chosen some pretty windy days this year to hit the bay and tribs. You know the drill, small waves breaking over the bow and gunwales....everything soaked as it should be. At the end of the day my bag is soaked and filled with water, and consequently so are the trays. I have been trying to find a small portable waterproof bag that also contains the newer waterproof trays. All the bags I am finding on the shelf contain the old leaking trays. I finally gave up and bought the biggest Flambeau waterproof tray I could find. Is the solution to buy the waterproof bag with the crap trays and then replace them with the newer waterproof trays? Or is there a better solution? Feedback and suggestions needed.

Oh, I like something that is small enough to keep in front of me. I hate reaching back in my crate for gear while I am actively fishing.
    Pelican Strike 100X

Plano makes several sizes of waterproof trays. I always carry one large tray (#3741) and sometimes one other medium tray (#3640). That is all the tackle I need for any of my trips. The boxes have three clasps and a gasket, making them truly waterproof.

See http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Plano...page-PWPB.html for examples.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yep, I had those in my hand. The only reason I went with the Flambeau Waterproof Tray was because of the "Zerust" dividers they promote as actually preventing rust. But I saw no bag with the Flambeau waterproof trays in them. So far I have about 99.9% of my gear in the Flambeau. I just thought it would be nice to have everything in one place.
      Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        Plano makes several sizes of waterproof trays. I always carry one large tray (#3741) and sometimes one other medium tray (#3640). That is all the tackle I need for any of my trips. The boxes have three clasps and a gasket, making them truly waterproof.

See http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Plano...page-PWPB.html for examples.
        That's the ones I use also, I really like them. Just don't put wet lures away in them, or stuff will rust. I usually put all lures that I used in my center hatch of my kayak, then open it up to dry when I get home. I take the hatch and battery out of the kayak before I load it to go home.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
          Just don't put wet lures away in them, or stuff will rust. I usually put all lures that I used in my center hatch of my kayak
          I do the same thing. Lowe's has a small, grey plastic bucket that fits well in the center hatch of a Hobie. It's a bit tall for the hatch, so I cut the bottom off it and gooped it back on. With a press fit, you can take about 3/4" off the height, which is just enough. You also need to cut a notch in the top to accommodate the hatch latch. I drop all my lures in there that I use throughout the day. When I get home, I fill the bucket with water, let the lures soak a bit, then drain the water, and let them dry.

Comment

Working...
          X