June 13th Meet and Greet on the Upper Potomac River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June 13th Meet and Greet on the Upper Potomac River

Good day on the water, great day all around. Thanks for hosting this one Rich! The BBQ and the cold ones really hit the spot after 7 hours on the water.

I kept an accurate count up until I landed 20 bass, after that I just lost track. I suspect I wound up with between 35 and 40 smallmouth bass. I was throwing the "Ned Rig" most of the day and if any of you are familiar with that presentation it does not discriminate on size. It catches bass from 6" to however big they get on the Upper Mac. Most of the bass I landed were like the top two in the photo below (with just a few in the 14" - 15") class which seems to be typical during the summer months.

I am much more of a largemouth bass fanatic but I did put together a lighter spinning rig this season specifically for targeting the smallies on the Potomac. I am always re-amazed at how hard those little guys can fight. It is so cool to see one leap above eye level while seated in the kayak. Hope everyone had as much fun out there as I did.

Information on the Ned Red components I used for those interested.

Z Man Finesse T.R.D.
    http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Z_Man...e-ZMANTRD.html

Owner Ultrahead Finesse Ball Head (16th ounce, size 1 hook)
    http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner...page-OFBH.html
    Last edited by Turtle135; 06-14-2015, 09:09 AM.
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Nice fish! wish I was able to make it but something came up last minute... I've been doing very well on the Ned rig this year as well
    Michael
    2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
    Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

I grew up in central NJ fishing the surf in the spring and fall. Then in the summer targeting LM bass. Moved down here in Harford County and fish the SU river all the time. I agree with you that the fight and spunk in a SM bass is unbelievable. I have had them jump well above me on my kayak. As a side note I had a striper last week jump like it was a Smallie in the river.

Comment

Working...
      X