Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Report: Severn to Whitehall, 7 fish and a French Frigate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Severn to Whitehall, 7 fish and a French Frigate.

Took advantage of the no wind conditions to go from Jonas Green to Whitehall and back this morning. Launched at high tide 4a to glassy / overcast conditions, not ideal but interesting nonetheless. Paddle / drifted to the bridge where a fluke setup with shrimp caught a seemingly random 10" flounder. Rode the tide to Whitehall / paddling along the way at an average speed of 1.1 mph trawling deep diving rapala shad and top water paddle tail spinners. Saw the wonderful replica Le Hermione French frigate warship (circa 1779). FYI: They'll be anchored there before "arriving" at Annapolis Harbor for the welcome ceremony on Tuesday and then moving up to Baltimore Harbor. Caught nothing until the mouth of the Severn, where a light wind picked up and I snagged 6 micron sized schooler stripers, all under 7". Hightailed it back to JG with no other action to note. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Wow! That was a long paddle for you.

Wasn't it dark when you launched at 4:00 a.m.'s high tide?

There's a lot of activity on the water in that area on the weekend, especially from early morning recreational crabbers in motor boats.

I'm sure you were careful.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

You're right, longest paddle for me so far at 6 miles and at a decent 1.2 MPH pace!

Traffic and the rumor of good fishing that time of night were the main reasons for coming out. The lack of wind / current had a bigger effect I think. It was dark at 4a, have some experience on night runs but only go out during relatively calm nights. I have two massive LED lights / beacons I thrown on, never open bodies of water and have a portable CB / EPIRB within reach.

After about 9am, the traffic picked up considerably with the weekend warriors and tourists gawking at the big boat (crabbers were a dream by comparison). By the time it got really going I was back on shore :-) Ignore that last land crossing on the track, my phone restarted right as I was coming in. Pins were the fish hits. image.jpgimage.jpg
      -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Glad to hear you were equipped for that run.

Your timing for good striper action was off by a couple of weeks.

But they'll be back shortly.

Better luck to you next time.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I'm okay playing wth the schoolies for now while waiting for the Rays to thin out, perch to get heavy along with the occasional blue / pickerel :-) this is all practice for big hunting :-)
          -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Working...
          X