Crabbing with open top traps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crabbing with open top traps

J have a hobie outback I plan on running traps out of.how do u all think would be the best way about going about this? We're to put traps on kayak were put basket on kayak

Well the most versatile thing that came to mind when I first saw this is start the base with Yak Attack GearTrak on the stern or bow(port and starboard) to build a lightweight rack system you can stack traps on and access easily standing and whatnot. I'd personally want in on the back so you could kneel on the seat while setting traps.
    Then, another GearTrak or whatever system you're currently using on the opposite side you'd be netting from to mount a semi-submersed basket so its in the water keeping your catch fresh in the heat, luring game fish your way.
    The plus side to crabbing from the yak is you're ready to take a crab too small and put it on a 9/0 circle and troll around with it...catching whopper bass that may be in your area....or any lunker that enjoys a nice sized crustacean!
    Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...
    2016 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-5 ti, BerleyPro Visor and Transducer mount
    2013 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Elite-4x Chirp
    2013 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-4 HDI

Comment

Unless running a crab line is your other option..then my idea is only half valid
      Christopher

2016 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Torqueedo Ultralight 403, Mad Frog Gear Boards, Elite-5 ti, Berley Pro Visor and Transducer mount and some other goodies...
      2016 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-5 ti, BerleyPro Visor and Transducer mount
      2013 PA 14' Olvie Drab, Elite-4x Chirp
      2013 PA 12' Olvie Drab, Elite-4 HDI

Comment

Run a trot line from your yak. Get with Moc, check his YouTube videos out as well...

Comment

Keep it simple. Old broom stick in the molded in rod holder works well for stacking the traps on. Also instead of a basket I just the crabs in a cooler.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks shady trot line they r not holding on to

Comment

Originally posted by kdkilbo View Post
              Thanks shady trot line they r not holding on to
              Went crabbing tonight. Ran ten collapsible traps. 6 stacked in milk create and my 12x12 in a square laundry hamper. Also gives you a place for the crabs. Got 7 over 6" males. On a slack tide. Just have a plan if the crabs get free.
              Cuda 14
              Big tuna

Comment

what are peoples opinions/ suggestions on running like 6 or so handlines....
                I do not have any traps, and have a paddle kayak so running a trotline would be difficult.
                2014 Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by Laxdawg14 View Post
                  what are peoples opinions/ suggestions on running like 6 or so handlines....
                  I do not have any traps, and have a paddle kayak so running a trotline would be difficult.

i do it often. pretty simple so i dont really have any tips, chicken neck, line, and dip net. i do anchor though
                  sigpic

Comment

When I first targeted crabs on my kayak, I just used fishing rods... So that's another option. Just catch some perch and cut them in half and tie on to the line... Make sure to bring a net
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Question a bit off topic and a bit on topic, Does Maryland allow Pots in coastal waters. I know DEL and VA does (2 per boat). Was reading the MDNR site and was not sure.
                      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

pretty sure you need waterfront property to use pots in md unless you have a commercial license
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X