Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member confessions

Hello folks;

My n/m intro lacked some vital info. My paddle craft is a Mad River Adventurer 14' canoe. I consider it a hybrid, because it has several kayak features similar to a SIK, regarding the enclosure and overall design. But it is not a kayak.

The reason i use this type of paddle craft is because i have had both knees completely replaced and the sitting posture is much more conducive to my knee bending limitations.

I have tried different makes of SOT and SIK kayaks. I liked their manueuverability and speed. But comfort wise, for me, it was a deal breaker.

I do have and enjoy the Bending Branches kayak/canoe paddle. This paddle was specifically designed to be used in a solo canoe. It has a slightly longer adjustable shaft to allow the higher perched canoers to reach the water over their wide sided craft. The blade portion of the paddle also has a 'variant' designed suited more to a canoe than a kayak. However, the main feature of this hybrid paddle is the extra length.

My own review of this paddle is complimentary to the crew at Bending Branches. It works and does what it was designed to do. The pros; for fishing it is ideal for moving short distances and keeping the boat in line to fish; it keeps the paddler from switching sides; the brigh orange blades are excellent safety features to be seen by other boaters and for signaling for help. The cons: It doesn't move the canoe as fast as the beaver tail bent wood 'BB' paddle that i use; it takes up more space that a single wood paddle; and for me can be cumbersome at times to transport and store.

My canoe is tricked out with a lot of 'home-made' gear to aid in fishing. I use a Humminbird 110 Fishin Buddy portable fish finder. I am also a fan of the drift sock to control my drift speed in fast currents and/or reverse course wind and tide. This comes from my days as a charter boat operator chunking butterfish for yellowfin tuna at the fingers and hot dog lumps.

Well folks there you have it, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Let me know if this would be a disqualifing issue. I hope not, but rules are rules, and rules need to be respected without exception.

Joe

....... No need to explain ............ You choice is your choice ......... It's all good

Comment

Heck, you could fish out of a peddle boat (come to think of it my Hobie is no different) and it would be good. I fished a canoe for 30 years before "upgrading" and still use it on the upper Potomac where my fins are a hazard, not a help. Welcome to the board and with your background you probably out fish most of us.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

My Kayak is an Old Town Canoe with an electric motor and nobody has asked me to turn in my membership!
        lol
        Welcome aboard!

Comment

Working...
        X