Mid Bay Target Ships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid Bay Target Ships?

So, I live in southern Maryland, and I've been looking for new places to go. When I was younger I remember fishing the mid-bay target ship. Its called the American Mariner (76.10, 38.02), and it lies northeast off point lookout about 8 miles or so. Launching from elms beach would be a more direct shot, with the target ship only about 3 miles out.
    There's definitely croaker there, but probably a variety of other species like sheepies, red drum, bluefish and rockfish. Who knows, maybe even cobia too. There's probably far more out there than I even realize

My question is, does anyone know anything about this target ship as a fishing spot? Has anyone ever tried to fish it from a yak? I know its at least a few miles out mid-bay, but I think its possibly doable.

Any thoughts?
    2015 Hobie Outback

Don't do it.
    The Mariner is 9 miles due east of PLO. And that is the closest launch to that target ship on the western shores.
    If you launch from Elm's, its over 16 miles. And either way you have to cross the shipping channels.

I've also heard that the firing range is still active. It would be a shame for you to paddle all the way out there just to find a patrol boat telling you to vacate. If you really need to try it out, I would recommend chartering a mothership.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Good to know. Definitely some good points there.
      From all the maps I've seen the ship appears to be just a few miles off elms beach. Definitely much much farther out from point lookout for sure.
      The naval test areas are definitely a concern. Good points there buzz.
      Mother-shipping is a good idea. I think I need to find out more info on its location..
      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

This is the area I was thinking about. Its called "The Targets" on the map, located between PAX River NAS and Point Lookout.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...werbaymap.html
        2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Ok. That's different.
          Definitely closer to shore, although I don't believe there are any scuttled ships there.

I wonder if that's one of those white flat floating targets. Read recently the Navy has had to chase sun bathers off those things.

Sent from my PalmPilot

Comment

Ha! That's too funny.
            Yeah, it an area I can't seem to find much information on. And I remember hearing the name on fishing trips when I was younger, but honestly I have no idea what's out there.
            The only way I'd even attempt a trip like that is with GPS of some sort, and a VHF radio, which I haven't yet acquired.
            I'd like to try it one day, but only with the proper gear and safety precautions.

Still it's an area that intrigues me. It's one of those situations where I've heard about people fishing the area, but can't seem to find any information on it... :/
            2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I have fished it a couple of times (most recently this past fall) from a boat, and we were chased out of the area both times by the fire control ship and a "PT boat" with mounted 50 cal.'s. It is a good area for "chasing the birds" doing the fall striper season. They are very assertive and want you down range (usually 3 miles) at your top speed. This is because they have planes in the air on hold for you to clear out, it gets expensive for them...don't think they would be happy to wait on a kayak. Also, it is a large general area that is fishy, not just the target ship itself. There is a lot of unexploded ordinance around it obviously, so it would not be the place to bait fish on the bottom.

Comment

Hmm interesting thoughts there Hemingway. I think you're right in that the area is still actively used by the navy. I noticed on maps there's restricted areas all over the place.
                Makes sense that they'd chase you out when conducting flight operations.
                Luckily though, I work at a place where those very flights come out of, and it isn't uncommon at all to hear of flights cancelled or delayed due to boaters being in the target vicinity. Luckily though I can check the flight schedules at work to see when they are doing runs on the ship.
                Weekends would also be a possible time to go there too, generally weekend flights are kept to a minimum.

Thanks for the input Hemingway! Im glad I'm not the only one that's considered fishing this ship
                2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

hey herndon...sorry my mail box was full...it is empty now
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Buzz,

The more I learn about the area the more I think you're right. No actual ship there, just targets the navy and coast guard occasionally shoot at...
                    2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Sorry, I just looked at your link finally. The area you are talking about is North of the target ship by a good bit. The actual ship is located across the shipping channel from Point Lookout heading toward Kedges Strait. No idea what the "Targets" is. Check it out and let us know.

Comment

Yeah I think I was mistaken in my earlier posts. Its definitely not the American Mariner. I know there's navy targets there, and I think a submerged shipwreck too.
                        DNR has it listed as a "Maryland fishing location" but it doesn't sound like many people actually fish it. Not sure why though...
                        2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I'm thinking the area known as "The Targets" is an area that is no longer used. NOAA charts don't show any wrecks in the area but it is littered with obstructions.

If you head out of Elm's beach 3 miles due East (magnetic) you'll be just south of the Prohibited Area. There are a lot of obstructions here situated in 36-40 feet of water. Might be a good spot to live line for some keeper sized stripers this time of year. But I wouldn't paddle out there without a buddy and a VHF.

Elms.jpg

Comment

There is a scuttled ship out there that was used for targeting by the Navy I think. I don't think they use it any more. It has been. Used for fishing for decades. It used to be a favorite place for Cobia etc. It was written about in old fishing in md magazines.its a good way from land and there are pretty strong currents. Also, conditions change quickly down there. If you go, I would make sure you go with a couple of yaks and have a boat you can call if you get in trouble. You are really in there open .

The targets are a different place. They are actual targets on pilings used for targeting by Navy planes I think. They will run you out of there when they are using it.

Comment

I have fished the Targets quite a bit, and it's really hit or miss. When the current is humming silversides gather around the base and the stripers will sit below them. Bottom fishing in the area used to be good for weakfish but have seen very little of them in the last few years.

Comment

Working...
                              X