First Time SPSP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time SPSP

I am new to kayaking and also pretty new to fishing. I have been out in Weems creek and the Severn a few times and cought a bunch of perch. I have vowed to finally catch a striped bass and decided to give Sandy Point a try. I went out today 6/28 at about 4 pm. The wind was blowing and the water was pretty ruff. I paddled out a ways and kept fighting the tide, waves and current. I tried trolling an xrap with no luck. Stopped and gave the xrap and rat-l-trap a go. No luck. So the. I decided to head back to calmer waters near the rocks under the East span. Bingo!!!! My small rat-l-trap was getting a bunch of perch until I snagged the treble hook on a rock. I switched over to a white purchase pounder and I got my first striped bass. It was a fantastic fish that fought an epic battle. He was pulling quite a bit of line then I finally got it into the boat. So as I was fighting this thing I dug out the phone to get my picture. Prepare to be amazed. Prepare to be stunned. I have to say. I am really liking this kayak and fishing thing.
    Attached Files

That is the target species! Victory.. It will get bigger the bite seems to be picking up.

Comment

Congrats! Now you have broken the ice. Fear not, these do in larger versions
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

No skunk... good day.
        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Hahaha, fun.
          You'll struggle to catch the larger fish on those lures right now. There's plenty of smaller fish like that in the shallows, but the larger fish are hanging out in 20-30' on ledges and drop offs. You'll need a deep diver or a jig to get there. Thanks for the report.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Working...
          X